Brand new, SEAGATE 5TB External Drive -Windows XP- Shows IN Device Manager, IN Seatools, NOT My Comp, NOT Disk Managment

AngelPhan

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
I have been searching here, there, and everywhere for a solution to this issue - for more than 16 hours now. I dearly hope someone can help me, and that everyone will forgive me if I have missed a posted solution somewhere...

I have one program that I need to run on an XP Machine, so I have one rig just for that use. That is the system I am writing about here. It is probably important to note that I have not had the PC for very long, and I bought it Used/Refurbished because my original XP only PC (for this same purpose) died completely. With that said, the PC and all peripherals were working fine, all running normally, with full Antivirus, etc. protection and firewall up continuously since moments after initial power-on. At that time I had a different Make/Model External Drive attached, that was inching toward failure (if the sounds it was making and perpetual write errors are any indicator...) I purchased this new 5TB Seagate model on Amazon, and transferred my files to it using my Windows 10 Laptop without any problems at all. In fact, the new drive is still recognized by my laptop and is fully functional there.

SYSTEM Specs (if you need other data in order to help, please tell me):
Refurbished Dell Dimension Desktop 8400
Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 3.00 GHz
2.99 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Running: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)

ALL DRIVERS indicated in a scan have been updated today using DriverMax 9 (Full/Paid Version)

DRIVE Specs:
Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive (STEB5000100 5TB)
USB 2.0 or 3.0 Compatible
Windows 7,8, 10 Compatible (per the box)
Windows XP Compatible? (per the support pages at Seagate.com, but it may mean 64-bit only?)

The Drive SHOWS in SeaTools for Windows AND has PASSED all Tests (short and long) today.
The Drive SHOWS in Device manager and is listed as "Working Properly" in Properties.
The Drive SHOWS in the Safely Remove Hardware Dialog.
The Drive SHOWS in USBDview.
The Drive SHOWS in MiniTool Partition Wizard Free (Version 10.2.1). *HOWEVER all options for this drive are grayed out*

The Drive DOES NOT SHOW in DISKPART.
The Drive DOES NOT SHOW in Computer/Disk Management.
The Drive DOES NOT SHOW in My Computer.
The Drive DOES NOT seem to have a Letter assigned, even though I assigned S: to it before I transferred my files, while it was still connected to my laptop.

I know S: is not in use on either machine, so I am secure in using that letter. It still shows under S: (and the name I gave it), if I connect it to the laptop.

I even tried deleting the volume, formatting the BRAND NEW drive, and re-partitioning it (using my laptop) after backing up my files, but that didn't help. I have tried everything I could find, and nothing works.

I JUST read (while typing this, in fact) that XP has a limit for drive size...? I had never heard that before now, but if true, could it be the cause of the issue? Does anyone think that partitioning into 2-3 smaller "pieces" and assigning separate letters to them would help? Is such a thing even possible? If that would work, I could likely still run the program with a somewhat smaller drive than this, for the files it needs to access. Smaller partitions on this physical disk sounds cheaper than buying yet another drive, since this is my third one for this use...

If you have read this far, I thank you - even if you don't have an answer for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

NicoForce

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
This is the exact same problem I'm facing right now.

The thing is, this expansion drive used to work just fine in my windows xp machine before formatting it (I don't know if it had windows xp 32 or 64 bits).

The hard drive with the previous version of windows xp I had failed, so I had to buy a new hdd and installed windows xp cleanly from a cd I had saved somewhere (This new version I installed is windows xp 32 bits).

When I tried to connect it know, it shows the exact same symptoms as you have described.

Since the other hdd failed I can no longer see if it was a 64 bit version of windows xp.

In conclussion, this seagate expansion desktop drive was working with no problems at all in the exact same rig a few weeks ago, and now it isn't. I hope we find the solution :'(.

If you can, connect it to some more modern machine and partition it properly for your OS. Another optin to do that is to use a live Linux distro to boot from or bootable partition manager like this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gparted_live.html