[SOLVED] Brand New SSD Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2019
Hi, I would be grateful for some help with an SSD issue. I have an old Medion Akoya Notepad which I thought I'd upgrade for my autistic son to watch clips on You Tube with. I up'ed the ram from 2Gb to 8Gb. All good, speeded things up. Then thought, an SSD would be good.....so...created a bootable Windows 10 USB.....swopped the new drive in......all loaded up fine......loaded all updates once installed....seemed a little slow...but ok.
Went on the internet...little slow...onto You Tube......page took an age to load...when it did, if you clicked on a clip, the sound began playing ahead of the picture....it eventually catches up, but it's not right.
It's not the internet speed. A speedchecker ran fine. (I ran one in parallel on my own laptop with the same speeds observed).....
I had a quick nose on the internet which suggested 1) I disable onboard VGA in the BIOS (couldn't find a setting for this in the BIOS) 2) Change the SATA type from IDE to AHCI (it already was) It also said to change the boot sequence but it's set to Windows Boot Manager to boot first which I presume should be ok. It said about upgrading the BIOS but it's on the latest level.....
I'm at a loss. The drive is new.....it's only got Windows 10 loaded on it...there's no data or anything....
Any ideas please????? Thanks....

Solution
Try running a speed test on the drive to see if the controller is acting as it should. You can try CrystalDiskMark, a normal speed would be:
~500-550 MB/s Seq reads and writes
~2 - 4MB/s 4k ran read and writes

If you get anything less than those than there's an issue with the drive since the HDD worked fine before.

Also try going into "device manager" and see if the latest drivers for the storage device are installed or even detected.
Try running a speed test on the drive to see if the controller is acting as it should. You can try CrystalDiskMark, a normal speed would be:
~500-550 MB/s Seq reads and writes
~2 - 4MB/s 4k ran read and writes

If you get anything less than those than there's an issue with the drive since the HDD worked fine before.

Also try going into "device manager" and see if the latest drivers for the storage device are installed or even detected.

Solution

kango692

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
The SATA port on the laptop might only be SATA I or II which will restrict the speed of the SSD
Had the same problem myself when I upgraded and old laptop with an SSD

Nov 9, 2019
Hi, I installed CrystalDiskMark with the following results (which I presume don't look to promising?)
Read Write
SEQ1M 544.20 232.39
Q8T1

SEQ1M 423.22 192.53
Q1T1

RND4K 71.52 35.43
Q32T16

RND4K 13.73 16.97
Q1D1

Would these results indicate that the disk is faulty/incompatible?

Thanks.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.