[SOLVED] Brand new SSD+ old HDD disappears after 6+ hours shutdown 2 NVMEs fine

Aug 30, 2020
So. I think my HDD is failing. It lost its path upon a restart the other day and I re-initialized it the next morning using disk management. It was working fine and drive letters re-assigned, restarted the computer still there cool... until I shutdown went to work came home powered on the computer. Drive gone again and sitting in the disk manager brand new (needing to reassign and reallocate as if it was just installed).

I purchase BRAND NEW SSD it comes I install that (keeping the old HDD in place) Give it its own SATA and it has the same issues.

Of note. I have two on board (X570 AORUS PRO WIFI) M.2 NVME drives (OS and separate 1TB) they have never malfunctioned or lost drive letter. I switched SATA cables (new fresh out of the bag) and even SATA ports (I have 6) same issue persists where I must reassign and format and lose any data on them over and over again each shutdown.

Found a windows update that was installed around the date they stopped working, uninstalled that, still persists. I shut the computer down for 3 hours watched a movie came back and the drives were all still mapped. It only happens when its shutdown overnight. I have tried EVERYTHING I could possibly think of. Please help....

System info.
-Ryzen 3700x, X570 AORUS Pro WiFi, 32GB trident Z, Windows 10

Solution
SOLVED! PROBLEM FIXED WOW.... So i litterally did everything in the world to discover why on earth this was happening and ended up with what I should have done a while ago. Fresh install of windows. I "kept my files" but reinstalled windows, it deleted a lot of the core x86 files and what not but some of which may have been conflicting from my old MB software and new one, old ram vs new and old RGB components since new. I have no idea what this would have to do with my Disk drives or my SATA but something was broken in one of the windows updates and was causing the problems. Day 2 of everything working fine. glad to have it all working perfectly. CPU usage is also down since then guess some junk built up over the years and finally threw...
Aug 30, 2020
of note this event seems to be correlated to it. This event does NOT exist in my logs of the perfectly working NVME but exists on both the SSD and HDD.

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_SanDisk&Prod_SSD_G5_BICS4\7&39dab3cf&0&050000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_ST2000DM006-2DM1\5&9d84f2&0&010000
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F120
Present: false

Aug 30, 2020
Could you show us the Partitions window in DMDE? Sometimes there is an easy DIY fix involving a few clicks and 1 minute or 2.

https://dmde.com/

Sorry I was not familiar with the software (looks like a great tool) Please see attached (of note I reinitialized and labled the drives, they are working and functional right now. (until tonight when i get home from work... they will be gone when I power up again) https://ibb.co/QvmktRY https://ibb.co/XkkcW4k
https://ibb.co/SsjjKWG
https://ibb.co/m0TGvSN

Aug 30, 2020
Also of note I went into BIOS yesterday and moved the boot order (USBs were booting ahead of the 2 drives in question so i placed them in the #3 and #4 spot, #1 and #2 are my NVMEs that have no problems) Did not fix problem. Upon boot up this morning drives disappeared again and show up as unallocated drives with no associated drive letter (requiring formatting and creation of initial volume.)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020
I'd prefer to see the damaged partitions, but normally you would r-click the lost partition and select "Insert the partition (undelete)". Then Apply Changes and reboot.
but why does it keep happening? could you explain what caused this? I have never had this particular phenomenon I have always just plugged in new SSD or HDD and boom. drive letter assigned good forever.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020
I don't know. That's why I need to see the contents of sectors 0, 1 and 2 when it does happen.

okay well thank you. I will fire her up after work today and confirm the problem is fixed. IF NOT. do you want me to take screen shots of those partitions BEFORE I re-mount the drives and re-assign drive letters? If so can you confirm which of the many screens contain the data that you can utilize to assist me in troubleshooting.

Thank you and I love this software, I am suprised its depth considering its freeware.

Aug 30, 2020
Alright update. They WERE there when I came back from work. low and behold another windows update before my sons baseball game and I return... they are gone. Took the screen shots (I think) you were asking for. Let me know what you think? until then ill do the same thing you told me last time. why are windows updates seeming to break my computer?

https://ibb.co/K7504Rs
https://ibb.co/M5wZmy0
https://ibb.co/2d4fZWy

Yes, you have exactly the same mysterious problem which others have experienced. You can r-click each of the found partitions and select "Insert the partition (Undelete)". You may find that DMDE creates an MBR partition rather than GPT, but that shouldn't matter.

DMDE7.jpg

DMDE5.jpg

DMDE9.jpg

It appears to be a Windows 10 bug, but I'm not sure. Other people have had exactly the same data corruption in LBA 0 as you have, but there are others who have ended up with a different data pattern. In those other cases the data pattern was from the $LogFile which is an NTFS metafile. AFAICS, only Windows writes NTFS metafiles, not application software, so it does seem like a Windows bug.

If we could determine where those strange data bytes in LBA 0 came from, then we may be closer to a solution. If it were my drive, I would use DMDE to search the whole drive for that pattern. But that may take hours ...

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020
It appears to be a Windows 10 bug, but I'm not sure. Other people have had exactly the same data corruption in LBA 0 as you have, but there are others who have ended up with a different data pattern. In those other cases the data pattern was from the $LogFile which is an NTFS metafile. AFAICS, only Windows writes NTFS metafiles, not application software, so it does seem like a Windows bug.

If we could determine where those strange data bytes in LBA 0 came from, then we may be closer to a solution. If it were my drive, I would use DMDE to search the whole drive for that pattern. But that may take hours ...
Ok so I’ll scan it, once I do what do you want a screen shot of?

But why would that issue happen on a brand new SSD I purchased just last week?

Aug 30, 2020
SOLVED! PROBLEM FIXED WOW.... So i litterally did everything in the world to discover why on earth this was happening and ended up with what I should have done a while ago. Fresh install of windows. I "kept my files" but reinstalled windows, it deleted a lot of the core x86 files and what not but some of which may have been conflicting from my old MB software and new one, old ram vs new and old RGB components since new. I have no idea what this would have to do with my Disk drives or my SATA but something was broken in one of the windows updates and was causing the problems. Day 2 of everything working fine. glad to have it all working perfectly. CPU usage is also down since then guess some junk built up over the years and finally threw something off.. Thank you for the help, do you think (fzabkar) that those same screenshots now that it is working fine would allow you to see what could have been the problem or no? since the solution resided in the OS vs the Disk drives?

Solution
Nov 26, 2020
SOLVED! PROBLEM FIXED WOW.... So i litterally did everything in the world to discover why on earth this was happening and ended up with what I should have done a while ago. Fresh install of windows. I "kept my files" but reinstalled windows, it deleted a lot of the core x86 files and what not but some of which may have been conflicting from my old MB software and new one, old ram vs new and old RGB components since new. I have no idea what this would have to do with my Disk drives or my SATA but something was broken in one of the windows updates and was causing the problems. Day 2 of everything working fine. glad to have it all working perfectly. CPU usage is also down since then guess some junk built up over the years and finally threw something off.. Thank you for the help, do you think (fzabkar) that those same screenshots now that it is working fine would allow you to see what could have been the problem or no? since the solution resided in the OS vs the Disk drives?
i have a 2tb firecuda doing something similar. worked since 2018 just fine until the last few weeks and has disappeared three times over the course of a week separation, pulled hard drive and mounted it in a drive dock on another computer and it looks just fine. re-install back in my alienware aurora system and boots, shows up fine. weird. dmde would be interesting to review. i use runtime software for most data recovery and partition stuff and a few mac tools. i'll keep an eye out on this as well without having to reload.