[SOLVED] Brand new SSD running hot

nazsoyo

Honorable
Mar 17, 2018
Just put in two new SSD's in my laptop (Alienware 15 R3) -

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB M.2 (2280)
Transcend MTS420S 240GB M.2 (2242)

myw9Ss.png

All above temps are idle, as you can see my other SSD's and HDD are fine. Crystaldiskinfo is showing same temps as Speccy.

The new 42mm SSD is next to the OS SSD inside the laptop but i don't understand why it's hotter. There is nothing different about that bay compared to the others. Never had any temp issues like this before in this laptop.

I got it off Amazon even though it's an unknown brand, it had really good reviews.

What do you guys think, should i refund?

Solution
Some SSDs have a discrete temperature sensor IC which reports the air temperature. Other SSDs have no discrete sensor and instead report the temperature of the controller die. You may need to affix a stick-on heatsink to the controller, space and warranty concerns notwithstanding.
Some SSDs have a discrete temperature sensor IC which reports the air temperature. Other SSDs have no discrete sensor and instead report the temperature of the controller die. You may need to affix a stick-on heatsink to the controller, space and warranty concerns notwithstanding.

Solution

nazsoyo

Honorable
Mar 17, 2018

Ah i see, will look into it, thanks.