Question Brand new WD HDD strange sounds and system don't boot ( WD HDD 2TB BLUE WD20EZRZ)

miskoprotis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
Hello,
Today bought WD HDD (WD20EZRZ). But when connected it and powered up - computer do not boot to windows (i can still access bios) and HDD makes strange sounds.
It is broken?

In video sound is very quite

Mar 24, 2021
Cant hear clearly but spinning sound is normal for HDD.
Can you see this drive in bios? Does your mobo have warning led telling you which part is wrong?
If you are simply adding one more drive it shouldn't affect the boot device, but you may want to check boot list as well.
And adding more component could cause short on power too, large HDD does consume some power when it is spinning.

miskoprotis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
Cant hear clearly but spinning sound is normal for HDD.
Can you see this drive in bios? Does your mobo have warning led telling you which part is wrong?
If you are simply adding one more drive it shouldn't affect the boot device, but you may want to check boot list as well.
And adding more component could cause short on power too, large HDD does consume some power when it is spinning.
I can see drive in bios - it shows 0GB instead of 2TB. (Primary storage with windows 10 is M.2 NVME Kingston SA1000)
My mobo don't have any sound and led warning system, i think so.. (Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H).
Also have some cheap Patriot SSD, which was disconnected. And new was HDD connected with same cables.
Without that new HDD everything runs fine like before (windows booted on Kingston NVME + extra Patriot SSD storage)

Mar 24, 2021
Here you can hear it more clearly, like strange beep and spinning, beep and spinning...
That does sound wired. Did you try another Sata cable? Or switch to a different sata connection on mobo.
I suspect it's the power issue, a faulty Hard drive should not affect booting unless it's where the system disk on.

miskoprotis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
I shut down system, take out power cable > disconnect SSD > connected this HDD on same cables as SSD was > power up system.
Despite SSD runs fine it still can be bad cables? (don't have another cable close to me)

Full PC specs:
Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H
Corsair TX550M 550W
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
RX580 8GB Asus Rog Strix
ADATA XPG Gammix 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
Kingston SA1000 M.2 NVMe SSD 240GB (primary with windows)

miskoprotis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
Taked out GPU and tried different SATA's power and different data sockets (with same cables) - no difference, still same sounds (forgot to mention, when in BIOS sounds stops)
BTW on firsts connections I was able to spot HDD somewhere in the BIOS. Now I couldn't...