Brandnew 8100 + mobo vs 2nd hand ryzen 5 1500x + mobo

clayieee

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade but in a tight spot.

I'm eyeing for an i3 8100 + mobo but that costs $213 since for some reason i3 8100 rose to $130 then I stumbled upon a Ryzen 5 1500x + a biostar A320MH VER6.0 from a local 2nd hand reseller that costs for $161.71.

Need your input on what to buy between the two. I'm from the philippines so I don't really get much choices.

Brandnew Prices are here : https://awesome-table.com/-KrkkVbKZR_HZ2x8lsHk/view

Honestly, I'd recommend you avoid the BioStar consumer boards. Their server boards are pretty good. Their consumer platform boards are really not. In light of that I'd say the i3 is the better choice but really that depends on what motherboard it comes with.

If the Ryzen had a better board, then for the price it would be the better option. For gaming, these two configurations are extremely close in performance.

If you go with a Ryzen build, my recommendation would be to stick to 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs and motherboards. The Pinnacle ridge CPUs and B450/X470 motherboards tend to have much better overall memory compatibility without having to use higher end modules to achieve advertised speeds and timings. Even with bios that are up to date, those first gen systems are still fairly finicky when it comes to the memory configurations and what type of memory chips are used on the modules.

cpucpu123

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

PC market in Philippines is hell on earth bro

Yeah, I know. I commonly help folks from all over. Philippines, India, Pakistan, Chile, Venezuela, upper Europe and various other places where hardware availability as well as what options there are, are extremely limited. Philippines is actually a lot better than some places. Good hardware is expensive to you there, but at least you CAN get good hardware if you are willing to pay the premium for it.

A lot of places, good hardware is practically impossible to get at any realistic price without paying through the nose to have it brought in from someplace else.

If you have to go with first gen Ryzen, that's ok, just be aware that you will want to immediately update the motherboard bios AND you had better be very selective in your choice of memory modules or you might be out of luck.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1627555-ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread.html