Brazilian Company Launches 'IPHONE' Android Smartphone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]This is BS, but Apple deserves it.[/citation]
Why is it BS, the company applied for that trademark in 2000 way before Apple even tried, it just takes forever for trademarks to get approved in Brazil. The name belongs to Gradiente in Brazil and they are using it, there really isn't anything that Apple can do.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
As I'm writing this post, I realize there's a LOT of differences between countries. Also remembering the stories I heard last night from a friend who traveled to US, having a lot of trouble doing his laundry, lmao. Almost ends up without his clothes.

[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Brazil is laughing at us, as we pay $4 a gallon for gas[/citation]

We pay per liters, not per gallons. We use the International System, which measures distance in meters, volume in cubic meters or liters (1/1000 m³) and mass in kilograms. So:

As of 20/12/12
1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liter
That makes it roughly $1,06/liter.
1 U.S. dollar = 2.06319994 Brazil reais
So 1 liter in US costs around 2,20 BRL. I pay R$2,68/Liter.
So we're not really laughing at that price, not really. Theres a few other countries in South America though, where gasoline only costs around 0,20 dollars, I think it was French Guiana or something. What a ripoff, huh.

What really costs us a lot less is electricity, for obvious reasons. Can't remember how much I paid last month per kW tho.

[citation][nom]heffeque[/nom]"Ive had a friend come from the US with toilet paper in her bag - I mean, come on"Your friend wasn't far off... although there's toilet paper, you CAN'T through it on the toilet because they get clogged. You have to through it in a garbage can specifically for that (kind'a like the garbage for women's menstrual stuff).

(...)
[/citation]

I dont understand why your post has been thumbed down. You're correct. Most of our toilets aren't made for throwing paper at it, altough I can do that in my house without a problem. My city also has a water treatment plant able to support it (dont ask why I even bother checking). It's something that is changing, I guess.

Totally agree on the part about the infrastructure on a city that receives so many tourists. It's expected, actually, but not all places are like that. Florianopolis is actually a nice place to visit and to live aswell!

And as already pointed out, we do not have earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis or stuff like that. We do have floods inside our metropolis, tho. Look at what's happening right now at São Paulo. Everytime it rains a tiny bit more than usual, theres people with water over their beds...

[citation][nom]Teramedia[/nom]@heffeque: That toilet paper disposal problem is not unique to Brazil. I think it's more a matter of how the system-wide plumbing and water treatment infrastructure was designed, in conjunction with what the local environment can handle. Greece, for one, has places where you have to put the used toilet paper in a special can. And I'm not picking on Greece - I'm just saying that sewer and septic systems that can handle TP are not everywhere.@Zeh and BrasilPerson: Thank you for the perspective. I doubt a lot of us would have known about the price differences in such detail, or about the background on that company for that matter. If the trademark was registered in 2000 for Brazil, then indeed Apple has no right to it whatsoever in that country. Their problem. Based on what you said in total, it sounds like this company is trademark squatting. I can't say as I blame them, as long as consumers aren't hurt by their actions.[/citation]

Fact is, I believe some people might be hurt by the practice. It might happen if an online retailer sells it a low price, without a photo of the actual product. There will always be someone dumb enough to think its the real deal...

I would never, ever, buy something like that. I'd even avoid any products at all from Gradient. Just imagine if GM was to sell a 80hp car called 'Ferr4ri' or something. Heck, that'd be funny.

drakennz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
It has a single core 700MHz processor and a low-resolution 320 x 480, 3.7-inch display.

As well as dual-SIM capabilities, a rear 5-megapixel camera and a 0.3-megapixel front-facing camera is included, as is 3G connectivity and 2 GB of storage

Oh they're definitely getting sued - it'll even perform like an iPhone!

G

@Zeh tells us: "the company applied for that trademark in 2000 way before Apple even tried".
@danielmunhato "it sounds like this company is trademark squatting."

Isto: Trademark squatting - I think you nailed it right there. Why have none of you Brazilians yet questioned why someone would trademark such a name in Brazil if it wasn't trademark squatting? The word "Phone" meant nothing to Brazilians before the Apple's iPhone came along. To a Brazilian, a phone is a "telefone". I suppose for a trademark it could conceivably be shortened to "fone", however, they don't call cell phones "fones". They call them "Cellulares". It might be more logical to trademark "iCellular" : )

The word "Phone" would be nearly unpronounceable gibberish to most Brazilians before Apple's iPhone came along. Just guessing, but I think they would have pronounced it "Pony".

To the guy who complained about life in Fortaleza... I feel sorry for your unhappiness. I lived in Brazil for 10 years, and I loved it. You gotta take it the way it is, and it just is... The people are wonderful, and have qualities rarely found in North America: Warm, Friendly, Caring, and Humble. Especially that last - humility - we hardly know what that is in North America, where everybody has to "be somebody" - preferably, important .

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Ninguem[/nom]@Zeh tells us: "the company applied for that trademark in 2000 way before Apple even tried".@danielmunhato "it sounds like this company is trademark squatting."Isto: Trademark squatting - I think you nailed it right there. Why have none of you Brazilians yet questioned why someone would trademark such a name in Brazil if it wasn't trademark squatting? The word "Phone" meant nothing to Brazilians before the Apple's iPhone came along. To a Brazilian, a phone is a "telefone". I suppose for a trademark it could conceivably be shortened to "fone", however, they don't call cell phones "fones". They call them "Cellulares". It might be more logical to trademark "iCellular" : )The word "Phone" would be nearly unpronounceable gibberish to most Brazilians before Apple's iPhone came along. Just guessing, but I think they would have pronounced it "Pony".To the guy who complained about life in Fortaleza... I feel sorry for your unhappiness. I lived in Brazil for 10 years, and I loved it. You gotta take it the way it is, and it just is... The people are wonderful, and have qualities rarely found in North America: Warm, Friendly, Caring, and Humble. Especially that last - humility - we hardly know what that is in North America, where everybody has to "be somebody" - preferably, important .[/citation]

Quite the contrary to your ignorant statements English words are very commonly used for branding products in Brazil. After the native Portuguese, English is the second most spoken language and is taught even in public schools starting on 5th grade. It's actually very common to find fluent English speakers in Brazil.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The average wage in Brazil is $500 but the taxes chain over anything manufactured is plain insane. To every product you purchase you buy another in taxes.

Still I see lots of iSheep showing off their phones every day.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
This IPHONE is crap! The REAL iPhone 5 16GB from Apple cost @ $1250 or R$2500 here in Brazil, R$3000 or $1500 for the 64GB. I live in São Paulo and I still use the Galaxy S cause everything else is expensive as sh*t!!
Galaxy SIII @ R$2000 or $1000! =( Some times I hate to live here =S

Status
Not open for further replies.