Brazilian Company Launches 'IPHONE' Android Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
So is the IPHONE a phone or a line-up of phones? There are no details on this so-called 'IPHONE' in the article only the Neo One.
This small Brazilian company better have its legal fronts covered, cause Apple with be coming for them if they get popular. They better have thought this through. Nice troll though :D I still wonder how they managed to get the rights to the name after the iPhone was launched. Seems like Apple didnt care much abt patents until they were threatened and lost popularity to Android and Samsung :p

[citation][nom]guru_urug[/nom]So is the IPHONE a phone or a line-up of phones? There are no details on this so-called 'IPHONE' in the article only the Neo One. This small Brazilian company better have its legal fronts covered, cause Apple with be coming for them if they get popular. They better have thought this through. Nice troll though I still wonder how they managed to get the rights to the name after the iPhone was launched. Seems like Apple didnt care much abt patents until they were threatened and lost popularity to Android and Samsung[/citation]
It may have something to do with the way the trademark name is spelled. iPhone vs. IPHONE.

G

The news are a bit incomplete... they won the rights in 2008, but they submited the register in 2000.

They released those cellphones now because if they didnt make any commercial use of it after 5 years of being granted the rights they would simply lose it.

There is an international protocol that allows patents to be applied simultaneously in 185 countries... but Brazil isn't one since it was rejected because it doesnt allocate enough people to examine patents. (it takes an average of 30 months up to 8 years to finish the examination process).

Also I dont think Gradient sells anything outside Brazil... so It doesnt seem they have much to worry since its all legal.

Apple cant use the mark in Brazil until 2018 though, now I guess thats a problem.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]It may have something to do with the way the trademark name is spelled. iPhone vs. IPHONE.[/citation]
It's actually iphone all lowercase that they are are using and have trademarked.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Maybe Brazillian copyright law is case sensitive?[/citation]

If thats the CASE then Apple has no cAse just incase they thought they had a case, but either way i don't feel too SENSITIVE to the case, because "I HATE APPLE". Apple at there Patents and trademarks and trolling. Its funny to see Apply wine for a change.

My iphone 3G pisses me off. If it was this slow when I bought it, I would of never bought it. So, its funny someone is mocking the iPhone @ 700 MHz hahahaha.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Maybe Brazillian copyright law is case sensitive?[/citation]
You don't copyright brand names you trademark them and yes how you spell the name matters. How the name is filed in the trademark form is what will end up being protected so it is important.

lebois kid

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
This is Brazil people, a very different world. Drugs, guns, bribes and intimidation rule the landscape. They will do whatever they want, IN BRAZIL.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Perfect spec for someone who's going back in time 4 or 5 years and not be suspected about too much speed, feature of the phone. So the target consumer is Marty McFly.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'm brazilian, so I feel like sharing a few thoughts:

The price is misleading, HERE, it's actually a cheap smartphone.
Everything is a lot more expensive in this country (due to high taxes over imports and electronics in general).
For instance, a 660ti selling in the US for ~270, means it's worth ~ R$550 (brazilian currency). Well guess what, I had to pay R$ 951 plus shipping, meaning I paid around 450$ for a product thats worth 270.
Thats just how things are around here.

That company btw is known as Gradiente, I actually thought it was dead anyways.

[citation][nom]lebois kid[/nom]This is Brazil people, a very different world. Drugs, guns, bribes and intimidation rule the landscape. They will do whatever they want, IN BRAZIL.[/citation]

You might be watching way too much movies. The way Brazil is shown in the media is also misleading. Ive had a friend come from the US with toilet paper in her bag - I mean, come on, we're 3rd world but not fucking central Africa, we've got everything a 1st world country has, it just costs a lot more and might take a few months to get here.

Might be you were talking about Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. Those cities indeed are having trouble with all those problems. Other places also might have that, but it's not that severe.

I live in the south. It's a very nice place to live, and there's no money that could make me move to RJ or SP. Just please remember: Brazil isnt only RJ/SP.

I'll answer any questions you might have as well, feel free to ask. Might even search more info on this product if someone needs something specific.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I just hope no one starts making "gAlaxy" phones or something like that if the Galaxy starts being recognized as the best phone out there. THEN I'll be pissed.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]lebois kid[/nom]This is Brazil people, a very different world. Drugs, guns, bribes and intimidation rule the landscape. They will do whatever they want, IN BRAZIL.[/citation]
youve been playing too much games...

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]You might be watching way too much movies. The way Brazil is shown in the media is also misleading. Ive had a friend come from the US with toilet paper in her bag - I mean, come on, we're 3rd world but not fucking central Africa, we've got everything a 1st world country has, it just costs a lot more and might take a few months to get here.Might be you were talking about Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. Those cities indeed are having trouble with all those problems. Other places also might have that, but it's not that severe.I live in the south. It's a very nice place to live, and there's no money that could make me move to RJ or SP. Just please remember: Brazil isnt only RJ/SP.I'll answer any questions you might have as well, feel free to ask. Might even search more info on this product if someone needs something specific.[/citation]
"Ive had a friend come from the US with toilet paper in her bag - I mean, come on"
Your friend wasn't far off... although there's toilet paper, you CAN'T through it on the toilet because they get clogged. You have to through it in a garbage can specifically for that (kind'a like the garbage for women's menstrual stuff).

Also... South and North are two different Brazils.
The South is colder and more "European" (because of European settlements).
The North is... well... I live in Fortaleza and the city seems like a nice and peaceful one, but that's just the appearance it gives to tourists, because it's not.

The streets are filthy, full of cockroaches and rats (like New York), the public transport is horrible, the streets and roads are full of deep holes that make it seem like one is driving on a rally, there's half the amount of recommended doctors per capita, the city planning is chaotic, walking on streets that aren't specific for tourists is horrible, it's almost impossible for people on wheelchairs, blind people, etc to roam the city freely, I barely only know a hand full of people that haven't been assaulted at least once in their life, I actually personally know several that have been shot because they tried to resist getting their car stolen (one of them is dead because of it and it's only been one f*ing year sense I arrived in Brazil).

The only reason I'm staying in northern Brazil is because the love of my life is from here and it's hard to convince her to move to another place, but... Brazil might be a very nice place to visit, but, although there are exceptions, in general, unless you're extremely rich, it's certainly NOT a nice place to live in.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@heffeque: That toilet paper disposal problem is not unique to Brazil. I think it's more a matter of how the system-wide plumbing and water treatment infrastructure was designed, in conjunction with what the local environment can handle. Greece, for one, has places where you have to put the used toilet paper in a special can. And I'm not picking on Greece - I'm just saying that sewer and septic systems that can handle TP are not everywhere.

@Zeh and BrasilPerson: Thank you for the perspective. I doubt a lot of us would have known about the price differences in such detail, or about the background on that company for that matter. If the trademark was registered in 2000 for Brazil, then indeed Apple has no right to it whatsoever in that country. Their problem. Based on what you said in total, it sounds like this company is trademark squatting. I can't say as I blame them, as long as consumers aren't hurt by their actions.

danielmunhato

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
[citation][nom]heffeque[/nom]"Ive had a friend come from the US with toilet paper in her bag - I mean, come on"Your friend wasn't far off... although there's toilet paper, you CAN'T through it on the toilet because they get clogged. You have to through it in a garbage can specifically for that (kind'a like the garbage for women's menstrual stuff).Also... South and North are two different Brazils.The South is colder and more "European" (because of European settlements).The North is... well... I live in Fortaleza and the city seems like a nice and peaceful one, but that's just the appearance it gives to tourists, because it's not.The streets are filthy, full of cockroaches and rats (like New York), the public transport is horrible, the streets and roads are full of deep holes that make it seem like one is driving on a rally, there's half the amount of recommended doctors per capita, the city planning is chaotic, walking on streets that aren't specific for tourists is horrible, it's almost impossible for people on wheelchairs, blind people, etc to roam the city freely, I barely only know a hand full of people that haven't been assaulted at least once in their life, I actually personally know several that have been shot because they tried to resist getting their car stolen (one of them is dead because of it and it's only been one f*ing year sense I arrived in Brazil).The only reason I'm staying in northern Brazil is because the love of my life is from here and it's hard to convince her to move to another place, but... Brazil might be a very nice place to visit, but, although there are exceptions, in general, unless you're extremely rich, it's certainly NOT a nice place to live in.[/citation]

well, Brazil it´s the more expensive country to live, butttttttttttttt, we don´t have earthquakes and tsunamis. I think that adds up

Status
Not open for further replies.