Breadboarding no display : dead CPU ?

Oct 24, 2018
Hello there,

My computer had a problem for a while : when I was trying to start it, it was restarting 30 times before actually booting. Until one day it didn't boot at all and kept rebooting infinitely.

I didn't know where the problem came from, so I removed one by one all the components of my computer. I eventually breadboarded the computer (PSU + Motherboard + CPU) alone and the problem was still here.

I tested my PSU with a multimeter and everything looked fine. I also tried to breadboard my computer with another PSU and the problem was still here so I think my PSU is okay.

I tried to remove my CPU and start the motherboard alone : problem was still here. So I thought my motherboard was dead and I just had to replace it.

Today I received a new motherboard and actually it doesn't work better!
When I breadboard my new motherboard + PSU + CPU the system launches, reboot after five seconds, and then seems to launch correctly (I don't know since I have no display)

BUT When I breadboard my new motherboard + PSU + CPU + RAM + HDMI Screen it acts the same, and I have absolutely no display. I tried several RAM slots.

I begin to think that in fact my CPU is dead which would explain the infinite restarting loop problem, and the fact I have no display now. But I have no speaker in my case and after all these unsuccessful tries I'm a bit confused and unsure of my conclusion.

Do you have some advices for me ?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Oct 24, 2018
Intel Core I7 4790K
ASRock B85M (new motherboard)
GSKILL Ares Low Profile 16 Go (4x4 Go) DDR3 2133Mhz Cas 10
Radeon R9 280 Dual-X OC
PSU : Be Quiest System Power S7 600W 80+Silver

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'd probably be more inclined to look to a memory issue, opposed to a dead CPU. While it's possible, CPUs are either (generally) DoA, or have had substantial voltage pushed through them.

Try CPU + Mb + 1x RAM module + relevant PSU connectors.
What happens then?

FWIW, you removed the CPU and tried to boot with just the MB + PSU? That's not going to help diagnose anything whatsoever.

Oct 24, 2018
Unfortunately yes, I tried CPU + MB + 1x RAM module (several times in different combinations) and :

On my new MB : No screen, System reboots once after 5 seconds and then fans keep spinning (still no screen)
On my old MB : No screen, System reboots every 5 seconds infinitely

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The new motherboard..... is it new/old stock?

The B85M at launch didn't support the 4790K ,as that's Devil's Canyon/Haswell Refresh....So needs a BIOS update.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M/#CPU

Doesn't explain the issue with the original board though.

Entirely possible it's the CPU, but without testing the board(s) with another, known working/compatible CPU, it's going to be hard to say with certainty.

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Try using some other connector for your video out like a DVI or VGA. HDMI on some motherboards will need an appropriate driver before outputting. Does your motherboard not have a speaker? Tiny thing with two wires and a little speaker the size of a gum ball that plugs in to the same area that all the case buttons plug. These ideas come from this checklist, you should run through the whole thing: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Oct 24, 2018

Wow I absolutely didn't think about the CPU support, that's a great insight.
The exact version of the motherboard is ASRock B85M DASH/OL R2.0, I'm trying to find the BIOS version.
I should be able to get an used i7 4770 next week to do some tests and see if it works

Oct 24, 2018

Thanks for the suggestions, actually I tried with DVI and it didn't work but I can try with the VGA if I manage to find a VGA cable.
Unfortunately there is no speaker in my case. I will check this checklist though !

Oct 24, 2018

Indeed, I will try this and post an update next week !
Thanks much for the help.

Oct 24, 2018
So I could test with a 4770K and everything worked perfectly on my new motherboard.
I also tried 4770K on my old motherboard and the computer kept rebooting.

So I flashed my new motherboard and tried my 4790k again but again nothing appears on screen so I can conclude both my old motherboard and my 4790k are dead unfortunately.

I don't know why both components died at the same time but it explains all the difficulties I had to diagnose the problem.

TRENDING THREADS