Break in ATA100 Ribbon Cable ??

Johnboy

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001
I have a question for you all. On the UDMA 100 cables there is a gap in the cable. It is on Pin 57 or so and is a few millimeters long. Several cables I have seen are like this. Any explination for this ??

G

Yes that is normal.

I think the extra wires on the 80-pin cable are only to provide improved grounding, thus allow for a higher frequency over the cable resulting in greater data transfer speeds.

mongoose

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I have the same question and the only reply posted so far to this doesn't make sense to me. I received 2, identical 80 wire, 40 pin connector cables in my ABIT KT7A RAID box only one had one of the traces punched out. The was absolutely nothing mentioned about it in the manual. There's no way they're gonna take the trouble in the manufacturing process to punch out a wire like that unless there is a reason....so, you have a good question which remains a mystery.

Hey! these are EASY questions....anybody out there?

Johnboy

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001
Sigh..
Dosent look like there is an answer to the question. Everybody says "Dont worry, it's normal" I know it's normal, I know thats they way they are made. the questions is WHY ?
Like why is the sky blue, why are leaves green, why does my desk phone ring right at 5:00 as I am trying to leave and it's always a pissed off person.
"Better grounding", "extra cable" I don't know about these. I counted the number of cables and there does not seem to be any extra.

Oh well. I guess it's like the Tootsie-Pop question; "The world may never know"