Breaking: Battlefield 3 Leaked Info

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
http://www.digitalbattle.com/2007/10/09/breaking-battlefield-3-leaked-info/

Breaking: Battlefield 3 Leaked Info
October 9th, 2007 by James Hyde in [#2d557a size=2]Rumor[/#2d557a size=2], [#2d557a size=2]MMO[/#2d557a size=2], [#2d557a size=2]Multiplayer[/#2d557a size=2], [#2d557a size=2]Online[/#2d557a size=2]
A tipster sent us PDF document which looked like an outline of features for Battlefield 3. The three page document is apparently prepared for investors which should get it by December of this year. It details basic features of BF3, and are as listed:

■Release in late 2008
Powered by “Frostbite DX”
Set in year modern day (just like BF2, ed.)
Will ship with 8 maps, each supporting up to 40-players per team
Two playable factions, NATO and MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition)
Same “ticket-based” gameplay style as before
Maps are mostly urban, based in Middle East
Squads and Commanders are present, introduced are “Battalions” which consist of three to four squads.
Five playable classes; Sniper, Assault, Engineer, Medic and Support
Will feature 48 different vehicles (24 for each faction)
Will feature 34 different weapons (17 for each faction) and another 22 unlocks (for both factions), in total 56 different weapons.
Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.
Possible public beta in “Summer 2008″
Online stats tracking, awards and “real world ranks”
“Soldier” feature, looks like MMO-styled characters and avatars
Ranked servers will be available for resellers weeks before the game ships (for testing, apparently, ed.)
In-game replay and recording feature
VoIP, friends list, in-game IM-client and “extensive clan support”
Built-in auto software updater (no more patches!, ed.)
Widows Vista and OS X (no XP?!, ed.)
Announcement and teaser trailer in January 2008.

A map is mentioned by name, called “Baghdad Burning”, and appears to be a massive urban map, similar to BF2’s very popular “Strike at Karkand”. The game is powered by “Frotbite DX”, currently the Frostbite engine is used in Battlefiled: Bad Company on PS3 and Xbox 360. The “DX” could refer to DirectX (10?), a PC version of the Frostbite engine.
Please note that none of this is confirmed, we’ve emailed a few people from EA and DICE (Battlefield developers) and will update the article as soon as we know more. Also note that we cannot, for obvious (legal) reasons, release the PDF document. Stay tuned for more info.

xstec

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Personally i think BF2 is pretty much a perfect game, so it will be hard to improve on that front, it seems like it will just be BF2 with better gfx and different maps. lets hope it has enough different content to keep us entertained.

i will be keeping an eye on this for sure.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Having such a multitude of weapons and vehicles is actually a turn off for me. Such games are just getting too complex in a multi player setup. Am I just getting old or anybody out there actually agreeing with me?

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I slightly disagree BigMac. For me, having a huge number of weapons and vehicles isn't a problem in and of itself. It's just that it tends to come with weak testing or design, so the game has 150 GUNS! but everyone uses the rocket launcher. Or, you have 35 submachine guns that are different only in look and sound.

I wonder what is says, when the most important feature I see on that list is the auto patcher?

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

The way you put it, it is just worthless wrt gameplay. However, let's assume that they manage to come up with 56 weapons that are really different and lets assume furthermore that they actually manage to get it all balanced, in short, a very good game. Even then, I just don't like to have that many choices, knowing the advantages and disadvantages of each of the weapons, it is just getting too complicated for me. And that's just the weapons..

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Oh please god let there be planes and choppers.
BF2142 was crap for the aerial battles.
And for the whingers who say "boo hoo..the planes are overpowered..of course they are...what's a grunt on the ground going to do against a f18?". Fire a teensy weensy sam? ha..
I loved BF2 as I play both flight sims and fps games.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I love BF2 but it had some problems hopfully they can fix them in BF3 like.

1.Fix the bugs and the crashes and the slow servers.

2.Make the jets actually land to reload but let them have a bigger payload to even things out.

3.Maybe add a pilot to the player selection (Sniper, Assault, Engineer, Medic Support and Pilot) have only so many pilots per round so everyone doesn't fight over who gets to fly.

4.better graphics and phyics is a no brainer! Hopfully this time we won't have to unload a whole round of bullets just to kill a guy dirctly in front of you.

5.Maybe get rid of the SAM launchers or make them better so they can actually shoot down jets.they were pretty usless last time.

BTW I hope they make BF3 Vista only,by the time this game comes out everyone will be switched over to vista anyway and most bugs will be fixed especially with SP1 coming out after christmas...

bobert866

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
The battlefield series was great! But ive had to reinstall and install the game so many times because of stupid bugs that would appear. I've went months without playing it because of that same reason. The random closing of the game was very annoying. It still came out to be my favorite game so far tho.

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007

The pilot kit is a good idea..that way we won't have the noobs standing in front of you trying to get tk'ed so they can get you kicked so they can have the jet..
Another one is to not give the fighter jets bombs and have them strictly for air to air combat. They could always use the cannon on enemy cars etc but since no bomb view they've have to fly real close to them to identify whether they're friend or foe. Lower the bomb numbers on the bomb and make the splash damage smaller so you need to be more accurate.
I reckon the above 3 pints would put a lot of people off planes thus leaving only the flying jocks interested in flying..namely me :pt1cable:

But jesus ..don't make it vista only...that could kill the game...XP is going to be around for another year or so at least.

Trunkz_Jr

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Okay, but then who decides who gets to choose a pilot kit? does that mean only vets of BF3 could get it? I think it's just too much - you'd have someone with a pilot kit, at a different spawn and nobody to use the jet, it would get stolen and then your screwed :p

I think it should be first come, first serve. Standing infront to force a TK - if you do this, it should be a "Player is no more" rather then a TK.

If you TK, you shouldn't lose points unless they punish (before it didn't matter, you lost more). Cause theres times where your playing on TS, TK your clan member my mistake and don't wanna lose points. (of course theres jerks out there that will punish just for fun, jerks!).

Like 2142, there should be ways to get around a claymore. I don't care if they have it so you can crouch and walk slowly like 2142, but there should be a way.

A buddy list like 2142, I know there gonna add this cause they'd be stupid if they didn't, but of course I'll add it, BF2 needed one, so would this game.

This game BTW is NOT gonna be Vista only, because they would lose many sales from all the XP gamers, so don't worry about this.

Artillery should be like 2142, not hurt so much, you should be able to get away from it but surely damaged.

One of the Most Important things, FIX THE DAMN HIT DETECTION! Really, ever shoot someone up good only to get killed and complain to your friend that you shot him up for called that guy a hacker? well watch the video, it's BAD. (This goes with knifing, I hate hitting the guy only to see smoke).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTwGSrjsgo

xstec said to him BF2 was perfect. BF2 is far from perfect, Especially at release - so many people cheated. You'd see so many people with 2500-3000 best round scores. Many bugs that were exploited it was really bad (even tho it didn't effect you or you didn't know). BF3 I think will improve upon all the mistakes that BF2 made.

BigMac said having more weapons is a turn-off for him. Really, having more should be a turn-ON lol Having more options, finding that gun that just feels right for you is just awesome. BF2 had I think 6 unlocks? This game will have 22 unlocks, right there is awesome. Some people had to shoot from far and be accurate but have it with less damage, or someone wants something like a G3 with lots of power but less bullets or lots of recoil. I think they could make it so that everyone finds a weapon they like (As long as they don't overpower one where everyone will be using it, alot of ppl as a Medic use G36E in BF2).

Official News will come out Jan.2008, just have to wait till then, maybe even a teaser.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I like the larger array of weapons in 2142 but they make it so awkward to cycle through with such a huge list of equipment. Does anyone hate this too? Maybe that is just me since I don’t assign each item to a number. That would be cool to see an improvement on that. And then the frags...WTF do they take 3x’s longer to throw in 2142 than in BF2? I like 2142, but I tend to play with BF2 a little more. But the load time...AAAHH!!! Hopefully the 3rd will have everything in line.