BREAKING: Oracle Buying Sun for $7.4 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Sooo... they've sold it to Oracle for the same price that IBM was offering. Weird.. I mean, if I was Sun I'd rather sell to IBM, after all they have far more in common than Sun and Oracle. I'm guessing a big part of Sun will just get thrown out in garbage once restructuring is finished, which wouldn't happen with IBM.

Ofcourse, I'm no analyst of any kind, just IMHO..

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
sun being sold to oracle? that might be good news! perhaps in a year or so we'll have a version of java that actually works as documented! oracles databases rarely misbehave after all ... and java always does ...

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
if this is the fact then Google, MS, and Yahoo and all other search engines should be found guilty cause we all know that you can punch in the name of the program/music/movie that you are looking for and add the word torrent to it and find it. so in essence they are all guilty for leading you to the end copywrited material.

smk4664

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
What does this mean for MySQL? With Oracle having it's own database, would this not be a conflict of interest? Would we have to start paying for licenses?

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Oracle excels in DBMS but I was suffering when I used the Oracle development forum... it was so frustrating to use and it was so outdated. It was like a project made by some student and totally messed up.

I hope that they will enhance Java before using it for any reason. I hope that they will deliver a USABLE product that is USER-FRIENDLY and does what it supposed to do in terms of functionality.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Is there anyway to disable that fucking Dell ad that pops up every time I visit this site.[/citation]
use kaspersky's anti banner feature - or download one of the many rigged lists for your hosts file to redirect the ad sites to localhost

[citation][nom]smk4664[/nom]What does this mean for MySQL? With Oracle having it's own database, would this not be a conflict of interest? Would we have to start paying for licenses?[/citation]
I don't know the answer to that, but it got me thinking. Our management told us in december, that from this year we're going to use openoffice on the ~2000 pcs we have for customers.... openoffice is sun right? I wonder if that's still going to be free then?

WTF? Welp, with MySQL as their biggest competitor in databases it's not a bad move for them. They paid too much though ^_^. This way they can control MySQL, heck maybee they will even tone down the paid support so they can say "If you want a real database with real support you need to upgrade from MySQL. Look we're running a special on it!".

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Openoffice is sponsored by Sun and Sun then ... ahh... repackages(?) it as Star Office for Solaris. The project may have to find a new sponsor. If MySQL wasn't already dead in the water, then I think this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

smk4664

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I don't know the answer to that, but it got me thinking. Our management told us in december, that from this year we're going to use openoffice on the ~2000 pcs we have for customers.... openoffice is sun right? I wonder if that's still going to be free then?[/citation]
Yes, Open Office is Sun. Along with Virtual Box, and a few other Open Source software. I don't really know what Oracle's track record with Open Source is, but this could present a problem for the linux community.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]squatchman[/nom]Openoffice is sponsored by Sun and Sun then ... ahh... repackages(?) it as Star Office for Solaris. The project may have to find a new sponsor. If MySQL wasn't already dead in the water, then I think this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.[/citation]
Okay - so if you're right, I don't have to worry having to remove it in 6 months again.

[citation][nom]smk4664[/nom]Yes, Open Office is Sun. Along with Virtual Box, and a few other Open Source software. I don't really know what Oracle's track record with Open Source is, but this could present a problem for the linux community.[/citation]
Oracle is one of the creators of realvnc - so they do know what opensource is - in general I don't like opensource though. I prefer software where someone claims responsibility when there's a problem.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Will Oracle sell parts of Sun to HP as many news stated before? Or will Oracle keep the Hardware business divisions?

IMO IBM didn't really have the need to buy Sun to improve its business. I see it just an opportunity for IBM to remove a smaller competitor from market.

Another player which has been silent is Microsoft. Maybe it's waiting to buy HP one day... :)

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
The "open source" side of things will be completely up in the air until oracle makes official comment. And that comment could slice either direction.

In terms of what it could mean for their database...this could be a very very good match. Java makes great GUI front ends, esp considering it can load and run the same way regardless of OS. Building this into their software to make it a more complete and flexible package in terms of customizing end user interfaces would be a handy thing I'd imagine.

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Oracle is positioning themselves nicely to be able to provide an end-to-end server side Web Application environment. Java + WebLogic + Oracle = Dominant

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
If Oracle plays their cards right with this move, then they could potentially be one of the strongest players out here. Oracle has such a high potential of growth now that they have control of MySQL. Despite Oracle being ok with open source, they're not going to let MySQL go on like it has. Hell, if I were them, I'd can MySQL all together.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
crap this is terrible news. ibm would have been better for java. i guess oracle has been of late buying has beens and losers, like bea... focus on large companies, large business solutions and services.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I am guessing this will be the end of the line for Open Office.[/citation]

Illustrating a fundamental lack of understanding of open source. Yes, Open Office will need to find another corporate sponsor if Oracle does not continue to fund its development should this deal go through.

Since Oracle currently markets DBMS software systems including RHEL OS with one-stop full service contracts for both the DB and OS, they DO have a vested interest in open source, though not so much on the desktop at this point. I suspect this means will now be able to take that same product and include the hardware.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Oracle is developing the new BRFS file system for Linux. I don't think we should worry too much about the impact on OSS and Linux in general. There will be some changes for sure. I think OO will move to Ubuntu and Novell and we can see some good changes there. I hope that Oracle combines the strong features from MySQL and Oracle DB and produce superior DB framework. If I am MS I would worry about the future of the MS SQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.