Question Breaking RAID 1 (Two 1TB SSD’s) into a 2TB 860 EVO

drhlis

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
I have a 2012 Intel S5520HC Server Board (Dual Xeon 5620 CPU’s, 96GB RAM) with an Embedded RAID Technology II Configuration Utility. There is one virtual drive configured, Array # 00, Mode RAID 1, Stripe Size 64KB, Two Stripes, and 1TB Drive Size.

I would be open to any suggestions in performing a clean Windows 10 Pro 1903 Update installation with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD RAID1 configuration or even better, break the RAID1 into only one logical 860 EVO 2TB SSD drive.

I am not having any difficulty performing a clean W10Pro installation with the existing Samsung Pro 1TB SSD RAID1 configuration and Windows 10 Pro 1903 Update ISO.

For some reason, Storage drivers are not recognizing the 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD during a clean Win 10 Pro installation when using a USB ISO Win Pr drive.

I removed one of the 1TB drives from the RAID1, replaced it with a 2TB 860 EVO SSD, and am now rebuilding the drive as if the removed drive was degraded. I plan on doing the same thing with the other 2TB 860 EVO drive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have used MiniTool Partition Pro but was unsuccessful in performing a disk copy after the Fatal Error Blue Screen popped up when finished. My thought was that I may have to disable the USB bootup sequence.

I’m using this cpt as a backup server at my Optometric practice.

Thanks!
Stephen Hlis

Last edited:

drhlis

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
I successfully rebuilt both Samsung EVO 2TB SSD's by taking one of the Samsung Pro 1TB SSD's out and replacing it with a 2TB SSD. Then I used a System Repair Disc Win 10 Pro 64-Bit which I created from the RAID 1 Samsung Pro 1TB SSD, to boot up the 2TB RAID 1 SSD's . Then I restored the the 2TB RAID 1 with a System Image that I created from the 1TB RAID 1. Now I am in the process of expanding the 2TB mirrored partition with MiniTool.

drhlis

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
You've setup the raid 1 and formatted it in the Raid Bios utility?
RAID 1 was the original configuration in which the computer was delivered to my office in 2012. I went back to the office today, studied the user manual, and then entered into the Intel Embedded RAID II Controller to change settings. I changed the configuration from RAID 1 to RAID 0. I figured since the Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD RAID 0 would be faster than RAID 1 . I also gave up the idea of breaking RAID 1 since one 860 EVO would be slower than two in RAID 0. I am unconcerned about the cpt crashing since it is no longer an active server with vital data. It has 96GB of registered RAM and is humming right along like a new computer now especially being 7 years old.

I am currently using Netgear Nighthawk R9000 Router's 10 Gigabit SFP+ port to connect to a Netgear XS716T 16-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch. All of the workstations have StarTech 10Gb Adapter cards and are without bottlenecks in transmitting retinal image files. All is good in Texas. I appreciate everyone's interest and assistance.