News Breakthrough Allows for Mass Production of 25 Exabyte 2-Inch Diamond Wafers

No mention of long term storage? Can this be used to archive data? Companies want a good way to store their data for hundreds of years, current long term media is very limited in storage capacity.

Giroro

Splendid
Why does Quantum computing need so much storage?
Is Quantum storage different than regular storage?
Can this technology be used for regular computer storage?
What is the storage density/capacity of a silicon wafer of this size?
What kind of storage is this? ReWritable? WORM?

D

Deleted member 14196

lol, great now they can store all mobile network traffic every day for eternity... big brother is watching--and will be watching even more now with this tech

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
A couple of my engineers were messing around a while back with a atomic layer deposition tool in the factory and they managed to make a massive 12 inch diamond that was atomically perfect.

hermitboy

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
The difference between 2 inches and 55mm is quite significant. Which is it?

The difference comes from the fact that the previous versions could only be 4mm - the 2" listed is said to be 55mm

So the comparison is between 4mm and 55mm, not 2" and 55mm (which is functionally equal)

Why does Quantum computing need so much storage?
Is Quantum storage different than regular storage?
Can this technology be used for regular computer storage?
What is the storage density/capacity of a silicon wafer of this size?
What kind of storage is this? ReWritable? WORM?

Probably because of the amount of data it can process in time. You will need a huge chunk of storage to feed new data to the quantum processor.

But Im not expert, so perhaps someone else can share more accurate info/explanation.

hermitboy

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
It's a near 10% difference. In no situation is that functionally equal in engineering terms.

Okay, my bad - I wasn't reading this from an engineering perspective. I don't deal in conversions very often so I took the provided conversion at face value. (blame me for assuming the article got it correct and thought that 2" = ~55mm.... not realizing the 2" = 50.8mm...)

So... did they just dumb it down to much for those like me, where the old attempts were ~55mm, and figured most people would be fine reading 2" instead of 2.17" ?

Reactions: MasterMadBones