Mar 11, 2021
I didn’t use my better judgement today. Created an account for a second opinion and to log my stupid mistake.

specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x (prev. Ryzen 3 3300x) w/ temporary stock cooler (lack of abundant thermal paste required me to swap out my EVO Cooler)
ASUS B450 Pro
2x 32GB 3600mhz Corsair ram
White 600W thermaltake PSU
NVIDIA RTX 2070

Now, the story..

I purchased a new CPU today, Ryzen 7 3700x.
Installed it and PC started no problem.

While the PC was loading my new boot settings, I installed some led lights and tested a header on my mobo.

Suddenly, after 45-60 seconds, I smelled smoke. I quickly shut off the PC to prevent further damages.

Now the problem:

Everything starts up.. but the CPU fan stops spinning after 3-5 seconds and no longer moves.

I have removed the battery, powered off, waited 15 seconds and replaced it -no luck.

I’ve reset cmos three times using the pins on the mobo -no luck.

I’ve also waited for the heatsink to cooldown. No luck.

I can’t get into specifics, I’m a year into this PC. I’ve upgraded it a few times and built an old pc prior. I don’t know all the terminology and I’m pretty new but I have used this thread to solve many known issues, so please be light with regards to terms.

As for my mistake, feel free to rip me a new one or provide solutions. In the meantime I will keep attempting the cmos battery/reset pins.

-B

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021
Update:

I was short circuiting the board with the wrong pins.

according to the manual, the pins are in the lower left.

Will begin post load up and attempt to reconcile.

Lady Luck is on my side today.

-B