[SOLVED] Bricked gpu now can't get to bios

Oct 4, 2019
Hi, I'm having a weird problem and I was hoping someone could help.

I bought an rx 580 that had been used for mining and immediately ran into problems with it. I was advised that because it was used for mining it could be a bios issue and was given a new bios to flash on it with atiflash. The flash was "successful" and told me to restart my pc but when I did this... Black screen.

So I looked around and its a dual bios card so I thought I was in luck but switching the bios still gave me a black screen, solutions said to use integrated graphics or a different card bit I have no integrated graphics and my old gpu still earns the same black screen despite being a completely different model and brand, this one is a 750ti.

Does anyone have any insight into what went wrong? Any idea on why I can't boot up even with another card?

Solution
OK for future generations of idiots who find themselves in my position, do what I said to do above. Can't hurt and it worked for me right now, I then made sure everything was at factory defaults and tried again and it worked. I don't think anything else was different however I can't guarantee that there's nothing I did wrong in the first attempt. Card is now benchmarking very well compared with other rx 580s with no problems in fire strike and time spy and this remains the same story in games.

Lesson learned, gpus used for mining, at a good price, can be great value if you want to put in a little effort of troubleshooting them but they can have their own complications.

Lutfij

Titan
Flashing the BIOS on a GPU always comes with a disclaimer that the card can get bricked. Unfortunately the card was already crippled if it was mined and most probably the prior user also tampered with the second BIOS. On the other hand, you might want to see if the card works on a donor system.

Speaking of system's what are the specs to your current system? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Oct 4, 2019
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600x
Mobo: MSI b450 tomahawk
Ram: 8gb hyper fury 2400mhz
Hdd: 1tb 7.2k hdd
GPU: Power color Red devil rx580 8gb/evga 750ti sc
PSU: Evga supernova g2 750w
Chassis: is I'm assuming case and it's just a deepcool e shield

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019
Additional info this gets even weirder. After the old gpu wouldn't work I transferred both into an older system and found that, very strangely, both are able to display in the old machine. I'm starting to think that ati flash did something to the board and not the card somehow?

Oct 4, 2019
Thanks for the input, Mahisse, all suggestions are welcome but unfortunately I'm on the most recent bios for my mobo because I had to update it to be compatible with my processor.

My current line of thinking since the cards work in an older machine is that somehow the ati tool messed with the mobo while leaving the gpu untouched and ill be trying to replace cmos battery and flash it back on the same version as soon as I'm home today to see if that makes any difference. I will keep this thread posted if it works because I've seen some similar problems going back several years but never any solutions.

Oct 4, 2019
OK for future generations of idiots who find themselves in my position, do what I said to do above. Can't hurt and it worked for me right now, I then made sure everything was at factory defaults and tried again and it worked. I don't think anything else was different however I can't guarantee that there's nothing I did wrong in the first attempt. Card is now benchmarking very well compared with other rx 580s with no problems in fire strike and time spy and this remains the same story in games.

Lesson learned, gpus used for mining, at a good price, can be great value if you want to put in a little effort of troubleshooting them but they can have their own complications.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 2, 2020

Hi, man. I know it is old and I don't know if I am get answered. But I got the same problem you had. Even though I did everything okay flashing the proper bios to my GPU (sapphire red 580 8g) my PC get black screen. The video card turns on, the fans work etc, but there is no video.

You solved this by resetting your mobo bios? Just to make it clear to me.