[SOLVED] Bricked Motherboard - Any suggestions / troubleshooting tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2021
Hello

I was recently sold a faulty motherboard - I managed to get my money back however the seller has gone quiet so I guess I can keep the faulty board?

Anyway - I'd like to give fixing it a go, always keen to learn.

Current setup for testing:

HX1200 PSU *8-pin + 24-pin)
B550 Aorus Elite Ax V2
1x noctua fan

(have access to other parts however I just want it to turn on first)

The issue:

The motherboard will not power on, I have tried:

• flashing bios (when I do this, I'll have a single fan connected and this turns on whilst flashing)
  • clearing CMOS (shorting pins + removing battery)
  • changing psu
  • changing cables
I have noticed that when I turn the psu on - there is quick flash of light where the led's are on the motherboard. What could this suggest?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_F6wgQXn3s-
light flash

Have I got a fried board?

Many thanks,

Jaime :)

Last edited:
Solution
flashing bios (when I do this, I'll have a single fan connected and this turns on whilst flashing)
How did you do the above?
Without RAM+CPU there is nothing you can really test. Get a POST diagnostic card to see if it is alive. Or at least hook up a buzzer.
Might be a shot KBC, improperly flashed BIOS, shot power latch, knocked off components and so on and so forth.
I would:
  • Do a good visual inspection of the board, looking for knocked-off components and physical damage
  • Measure resistances on all power inputs to make sure no shorts
  • Force PSU power-on (to see if it is the latch logic), insert a test wire in the back of the ATX connector like you would do with a paperclip... and see if the POST card gives any clue...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello

I was recently sold a faulty motherboard - I managed to get my money back however the seller has gone quiet so I guess I can keep the faulty board?

B550 Aorus Elite Ax V2
1x noctua fan

The issue:

The motherboard will not power on, I have tried:

• flashing bios
  • clearing CMOS (shorting pins + removing battery)
  • changing psu
  • changing cables
I have noticed that when I turn the psu on - there is quick flash of light where the led's are on the motherboard. What could this suggest?

Have I got a fried board?

Many thanks,

Jaime :)
Most of the time they don't turn on without a processor.

Reactions: Krotow
Without detailed schematics and tech notes (which the manufacturer will definitely NOT give or sell to you), and the necessary equipment/skills to do surface mount desoldering/soldering you're not going to be able to do anything with that board except put it in the recycle bin for the next trash pickup.

Hello

B550 Aorus Elite Ax V2
1x noctua fan

At the very minimum you'll need to install a CPU, one stick of memory and a GPU (if you don't have a CPU with integrated GPU) to get a display and verify it works. That will let you get into the BIOS but you'll need some sort of HDD/SSD/NVME/USB drive to install an OS and boot to it.

Sep 7, 2021
At the very minimum you'll need to install a CPU, one stick of memory and a GPU (if you don't have a CPU with integrated GPU) to get a display and verify it works. That will let you get into the BIOS but you'll need some sort of HDD/SSD/NVME/USB drive to install an OS and boot to it.
When I first got the motherboard I did a simple set up (as you mentioned) and when shorting the power switch pins, there was no response.

flashing bios (when I do this, I'll have a single fan connected and this turns on whilst flashing)
How did you do the above?
Without RAM+CPU there is nothing you can really test. Get a POST diagnostic card to see if it is alive. Or at least hook up a buzzer.
Might be a shot KBC, improperly flashed BIOS, shot power latch, knocked off components and so on and so forth.
I would:
  • Do a good visual inspection of the board, looking for knocked-off components and physical damage
  • Measure resistances on all power inputs to make sure no shorts
  • Force PSU power-on (to see if it is the latch logic), insert a test wire in the back of the ATX connector like you would do with a paperclip... and see if the POST card gives any clue
  • Perform a BIOS flash, (get/build an image and use external flasher to backup/write/verify)
Changing KBC and troubleshooting further will be a little complicated for homebrew.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.