Question Bricked Motherboard?

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Hi,

So i have HP Elitebook 800 G1 DM which had a I3 in it and worked fine have been using it for about 6 months and then i found a Xeon 1220 V3 which was the same socket type i brought this a plugged it in but nothing happend turned on the off a couple of times and then just stayed on but the system would not boot. Now i was doing this headless at the time no screen or keyboard attached so i thought it was probably a BIOs message about the new CPU and this is why it was not booting. So brought it home and plugged it in to a monitor and powered it up nothing happend i thought it might be a dead CPU so i put my I3 back in which came up with the CPU message and took longer than normal to boot but did eventually boot so i powered off for the night but have come back to it today tried booting up nothing happend no boot at all but the front light came on powered off and then put Xeon back in after about 20 secounds of nothing the fan ramped up to full speed waiting for about 5 minutes nothing happend so i unplugged the computer.

I then put the I3 back in the machine and powered up again but nothing after about 20 seconds the fan went again to full speed unplugged the computer, looked up the issue online about found another post saying that it could be motherboard issue and suggested unplugging RAM, CMOS, SSD even trying differant RAM but still after trying all of that it didnt work i even tried a diffrant I3 CPU but still the same.

Has the Xeon bricked my machine?

Lutfij

Titan
According to this prodcut specifications;
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04266271
I don't see any i3 listed for the CPU's. As for your Xeon, the 80W TDP doesn't correspond to the highest i7(35W TDP) on that CPU list, furthermore, I don't recall seeing anything mentioned regarding a Xeon supported by the motherboard in the service manual, Chapter 5, page 44.

I don't think you're suffering from a bricked board, more so a dead board with a blown power delivery area. I could be wrong, how? You source a CH341A BIOS Programming Toolkit and then reflash the BIOS on the motherboard.

Last edited:

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
According to this prodcut specifications;
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04266271
I don't see any i3 listed for the CPU's. As for your Xeon, the 80W TDP doesn't correspond to the highest i7(35W TDP) on that CPU list, furthermore, I don't recall seeing anything mentioned regarding a Xeon supported by the motherboard in the service manual, Chapter 5, page 44.

I don't think you're suffering from a bricked board, more so a dead board with a blown power delivery area. I could be wrong, how>? You source a CH341A BIOS Programming Toolkit and then reflash the BIOS on the motherboard.

Hi Thank you for reply,

Here is a link for i3 support https://www.hardware-corner.net/desktop-models/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-Mini/ and on the case it self has a Intel I3 sticker itself
and for the life i cant find the link for where i found out about the Xeon.

I have never used a CH341A before, are they easy to use?

Lutfij

Titan
Like pretty much anything in life...if you don't know what you're doing, it's complicated. If you know what you're doing, it's easy. I had to desolder a BIOS chip, decipher a BIOS rom file and even go through 3 app's to flash the BIOS on an Asus B85M-G motherboard but I had a couple of months worth of research dumped into it and I was prepared to chalk the board as dead and unrepairable.

and for the life i cant find the link for where i found out about the Xeon
Perhaps because it doesn't exist.