[SOLVED] Bricked Rtx 3080 Laptop

Jul 12, 2021
Hello everyone, Yesterday I bought a gaming laptop 4500$ , MSI ge 76 today I decided to flash vbois to increase gpu tdp, But I flashed wrong rom, After I rebooted the system screen is black
This laptop is very expensive,
coneected laptop to hdmi to a tv , no change on screen.
this laptop have lot of port of diplay.
Does adding a external monitor will help??
Also Laptop have another gpu, Intel uhd graphic but how to enable it?

if the GPU is damaged\malfunctioning due to improper vBIOS flash
switching the video output is not going to make any difference.

through the system BIOS you should be able to select to disable the dedicated graphics and enable the iGPU.
but will you be able to access it with no display?

you seem to be in quite a predicament.
opening up the laptop can void any warranty.
but, submitting it for manufacturer warranty repair could lead to them determining that you've flashed the vBIOS and end up also voiding the warranty plus cause them to charge you for service to get the laptop back.

i think i would probably request a refund from the retailer and just send it back.
hopefully no inspection will show that you flashed it and they will just refund the money when they receive the device.

Reactions: Jmi20

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
[QUOTE="spentshells, post: 22383357, member: 52769"

In the future, don't do stuff that does not need to be done.
[/QUOTE]
So true. As the saying goes: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 12, 2021
Refund is not available for this laptop, I had to chose that service when I bought the laptop, I had to pay extra 800$ to be able to refund laptop when I bought laptop so I decided to not pay that money.
Now guy please tell me extra VGA will help me?????
Please and please dont tell me I cant use that laptop anymore .
I saved my money for 2 year to buy that laptop.
Im looking for help, I believe you guys are very very professional.
I did not use the laptop for even 24 hours.
Hope you understand what I feel. 😢
Got my lession but dont tell me now is too late.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Doubt that's going to help - Sending it back to manufacturer for repair is probably the best option you have now. Hopefully not too expensive either, if no replacement parts are involved.

Please, be more careful next time.

Jul 12, 2021
I can reflash Vbios if I go to windows, but screen is black, in MSI laptop bois you cant chose gpu between Intel or Nvidia.
But in Windows MSI Center app I was able to chose it but I choosed nvidia gpu, What if I remove nvme ssd and using different pc to boot os and change gpu to intel and put back nvme to msi laptop. does it work?

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
As i have said earlier, you can follow this guide.

edit: after some research i discovered this mining os called “hiveos”. Apparently you can install it on a usb and control your mining rigs remotely.

and apparently, it is also capable of flashing bios remotely through its web interface so you wouldnt need to have the display working. But you would need to sign up to access the web interface. Desperate time, desperate measure…

though another question for this is, does the laptop even post in the first place? If it doesnt this hive os measure would also not work. Leaving you only with the first link i gave you…

*disclaimer: i have not tried this method myself. Use at your own risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexey144
Jul 12, 2021
As i have said earlier, you can follow this guide.

edit: after some research i discovered this mining os called “hiveos”. Apparently you can install it on a usb and control your mining rigs remotely.

and apparently, it is also capable of flashing bios remotely through its web interface so you wouldnt need to have the display working. But you would need to sign up to access the web interface. Desperate time, desperate measure…

though another question for this is, does the laptop even post in the first place? If it doesnt this hive os measure would also not work. Leaving you only with the first link i gave you…

*disclaimer: i have not tried this method myself. Use at your own risk.
thank you for help.
After I flashed Vbois, screen displayed everything untill I restarted the pc.
Now My WIFI router Show my laptop connected to The network it mean my laptop work in win10 boot successfully, I can even put my laptop to Flight mod using FN+F5 , So I think I have access to windows.
My laptop connected to internet so Im thinking to installing Hiveos or a full remote desktop on my ssd using other pc and boot my laptop with current ssd again and try to flash Vbois with remote,
Note sure open the laptop or send it to msi service.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
thank you for help.
After I flashed Vbois, screen displayed everything untill I restarted the pc.
Now My WIFI router Show my laptop connected to The network it mean my laptop work in win10 boot successfully, I can even put my laptop to Flight mod using FN+F5 , So I think I have access to windows.
My laptop connected to internet so Im thinking to installing Hiveos or a full remote desktop on my ssd using other pc and boot my laptop with current ssd again and try to flash Vbois with remote,
Note sure open the laptop or send it to msi service.

i also totally forgot to ask one thing, theres no display at all?

if there is a bios splash screen but display only disappears when windows loads, you could try flashing with a dos bootable usb.

edit: now that i think about it, since your laptop boots, just no display; you could flash just with a dos usb (no need for this hiveos or remote desktop) so long as you could access the boot menu and know your way around dos…

Reactions: alexey144
Refund is not available for this laptop, I had to chose that service when I bought the laptop, I had to pay extra 800$ to be able to refund laptop when I bought laptop so I decided to not pay that money.
Now guy please tell me extra VGA will help me?????
Please and please dont tell me I cant use that laptop anymore .
I saved my money for 2 year to buy that laptop.
Im looking for help, I believe you guys are very very professional.
I did not use the laptop for even 24 hours.
Hope you understand what I feel. 😢
Got my lession but dont tell me now is too late.

As a former computer salesman who REFUSED to sell warranties all laptops are warrantied for one year by manufacturer... no if's and's or but's. You were experiencing issues, you followed the directions and there was a fault... no responsibility is on you.

This is normal usage. If you bought it used... too bad for you. But it should be repaired at no expense to you under a year old. Manufacturers warranty, read your documentation... get it repaired.

Never trust a computer sales person anymore than you would a car salesman....

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
As a former computer salesman who REFUSED to sell warranties all laptops are warrantied for one year by manufacturer... no if's and's or but's. You were experiencing issues, you followed the directions and there was a fault... no responsibility is on you.

This is normal usage. If you bought it used... too bad for you. But it should be repaired at no expense to you under a year old. Manufacturers warranty, read your documentation... get it repaired.

Never trust a computer sales person anymore than you would a car salesman....

‘Have you been reading the entire thread? It is his fault, he flashed the wrong vbios. It should have been left alone. Never mess with a machine that you are not 100% sure about, especially flashing vbios.

What you suggest is unethical, but that seems to be the norm in today’s society.

‘Have you been reading the entire thread? It is his fault, he flashed the wrong vbios. It should have been left alone. Never mess with a machine that you are not 100% sure about, especially flashing vbios.

What you suggest is unethical, but that seems to be the norm in today’s society.
oh I guess not, no issue, not a required update.... okay that's different, I naturally assumed there was an issue, this is considered normal use. If the update is available and is required for normal (expected) function proceeding with it is well within the limits of these warranties.... not a problem with society rather an actual obligation to honor warranty which can not be pushed off to the user when performing required updates.... you owe no explanation when acting as directed..... doing something foolish on the other hand.. not the greatest.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I agree, was thinking of flashing my gtx 1070 in my desktop tonight, but decided not to. This cements my decision.

Good decision. If it's not something that's required for proper use, never tinker with something that you'd be upset about losing.

I hope msi is able to solve the original poster's issue, even if not for free. Careless or not, it feels really awful for this to happen to someone who saved up for two years.

Reactions: okarowarrior

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
in this case, it's a recommended update you are free to return this device without issue.

The original poster didn't say anything about Resizable BAR (though it's possible that's what he means). It appears he was trying to update the VBIOS to lift the wattage restrictions on the GPU, which definitely wouldn't be considered a normal, recommended thing to do, even though it's commonly done.

TRENDING THREADS