[SOLVED] Bricked Windows. How to make changes to System32 with a boot drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
Hey!

I did this and now my PC won't boot. Not even into safe mode. It worked a couple of months ago and since I had the same issue (overclock not working) I just went ahead and did it again.

What tools do I need to boot from the USB drive and then overwrite the change I made with a backup? The Ubuntu drive I made allows me to use the PC and access the system32 folder but I can't make changes to it.

I tried AiO-SRT but I can't make it work. In the boot menu I can either choose the tool or to check if my drives are in tact and when I chose the tool nothing happens. The screen goes black. Could not find anything else of the sort.

What could've been a mistake is that I made that change right after Windows finished updating so it could be that windows bricked my PC but for now I want to revert the change I made to be sure.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
This is one of the many reasons you always need a true recoverable full drive backup.
I won't even say "especially when mucking around in System32", because you always need one no matter what you are doing.
Yeah I regret saving that for later. Was on my todo list for longer than I am willing to admit. Fortunately I do have 2 backups of all the important files but I would prefer not to do a clean windows install.

USAFRet

Titan
Never having to backdoor my way into a "fix" of what exists in /System32/, I can't suggest a way forward.

But take this as a heads up to institute an automated backup routine.
I can recover the entirety of my system, or each individual drive, or any individual file/folder, exactly as it was early this morning. Or any day in the last month.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
Never having to backdoor my way into a "fix" of what exists in /System32/, I can't suggest a way forward.

But take this as a heads up to institute an automated backup routine.
I can recover the entirety of my system, or each individual drive, or any individual file/folder, exactly as it was early this morning. Or any day in the last month.
I made a backup of the .dll that I replaced so what I hope for is a way to access the system32 folder with admin rights and replace it once again. I'm just unsure what tools to use since I never encoutered something like this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.