Question Bridge mode a router/modem combo

Mar 2, 2019
Ok so i have a sr320n thats now my router and modem but its really old and unreliable, so i got a "newer" router a netgear wrn2000v5. And i connected my netgear to my smartrg and disabled smartrgs wireless signal, and everything seems good but im getting double nat. Ive read about bridge mode but i cant get it to work. Btw my modem is doing pppoe not the router.

Can't say for sure on that router but many run PPPoA to talk to the ISP and then you run PPPOE on the second router. It can be a little hard to setup because you might need things like userid/password or other settings that you would have to get from your ISP web site.

You have a couple options if you do not want to do it that way. You could just leave it. Double NAT really only hurts game consoles that use UPnP. There are a few other things but the all involve running some type of server in your house. You could just leave it and when you have issue then start to worry about this.

You could also try the DMZ option in the sr320n, I assume it has that function. You would just set it to the WAN ip of your new router. This will fix many of the double NAT issues.

Last you could bridge the new router using it as a AP. You would only use the new wifi radios and let the other functions be handled by the sr320n. It depends why you bought the new router I guess if it was just for better wifi then this method will be fine.

Mar 2, 2019
Can't say for sure on that router but many run PPPoA to talk to the ISP and then you run PPPOE on the second router. It can be a little hard to setup because you might need things like userid/password or other settings that you would have to get from your ISP web site.

You have a couple options if you do not want to do it that way. You could just leave it. Double NAT really only hurts game consoles that use UPnP. There are a few other things but the all involve running some type of server in your house. You could just leave it and when you have issue then start to worry about this.

You could also try the DMZ option in the sr320n, I assume it has that function. You would just set it to the WAN ip of your new router. This will fix many of the double NAT issues.

Last you could bridge the new router using it as a AP. You would only use the new wifi radios and let the other functions be handled by the sr320n. It depends why you bought the new router I guess if it was just for better wifi then this method will be fine.
I do have my user and password for pppoe connection but what is pppoa? I dont think ive seen it on my modem. But basically i want the sr320n to be only a modem and the new one to be the router i dont know how to do that.

It has been a long time since I had a dsl connection. You need to put the dsl into bridge mode. I know in the one I had it wanted me to put the interface into pppoa mode. Maybe you can just set it to bridge mode.

In any case the second router generally need to run PPPoE. This is so that it can get a IP address from the ISP.

Mar 2, 2019
It has been a long time since I had a dsl connection. You need to put the dsl into bridge mode. I know in the one I had it wanted me to put the interface into pppoa mode. Maybe you can just set it to bridge mode.

In any case the second router generally need to run PPPoE. This is so that it can get a IP address from the ISP.
Ok thanks im going to try that. Btw can both my modem and router be have pppoe with the same user and password or only one can have it?

Mar 2, 2019
Didnt found anything useful but i found this on my pppoe service configuration "Bridge PPPoE Frames Between WAN and Local Ports" is by default unchecked, is that bridge mode? Half bridge? Or what

TRENDING THREADS