[SOLVED] Bridge mode router question

Jul 27, 2021
So I purchased this router (Netgear Nighthawk XR1000) currently have at&t fiber 1000mbps plan and I've been trying to figure out on how to put the at&t router/modem (BGW210) into bridge mode I tried doing ip passthrough but I just couldn't access the router software features, I watched this video
View: https://youtu.be/yagPxTgPmX0
and do I really have to pay 15$ and do all that just get internet from my router and access its features? If so I just wanna make sure I don't want some at&t guy coming over and me having to pay 15$ a month more for like 5 ips

Solution
How can I do that if I don't even have access to the router
And yes those addresses stay the same when I connect to the at&t modem/router

If you don't have access to your router UI, then you didn't reset it correctly. You may want to look at the user manual. It should be no different then the day you pulled it out of the box.

You should be able to set it up by itself, with just your PC and the netgear router attached to each other. Make sure it's properly set up before connecting it to the internet.

Also, I would set your DNS as automatic for now. That could be a reason why you can't login to your router.

You should be able to type in your router's ip address(found on the DETAIL page) and the UI should show up.
ATT is a huge pain when it comes to this. They like to force you to use their equipment even when technically you could use your own like on DSL. Partially this is because they want to sell you their bundled services and it needs their router even when you tell them you will only buy internet and nothing else.

Most companies if you push the issue will put their device in bridge mode but not ATT. Even their 5 ip thing is extremely messy to use there router still is in the path it not really bridged. I guess the only good thing is the newer equipment does not seem to hurt your performance.

The only solution really is what is recommended in the above post. You still have NAT in the path so it can cause some issue for say DYNDNS support on your router and some forms of VPN are harder to configure. It does solve most the other issues you would want to have bridge mode.

Reactions: SamirD and Elysian7
Jul 27, 2021
Use the dmz plus mode on the att and turn the wifi off on it. This will give you 'almost' bridge mode that will work fine for most stuff.
Thanks for replying so I looked up DMZ plus but from what I've seen is a old feature that only old routers have (or atleast not my router) unfortunately that DMZ option doesn't appear on my firewall settings and when I set up ip passthrough I get internet on the router it just doesn't deliver it, when I connect to it on my phone it says "Connected without internet" and Im sure I did everything correctly

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
ATT is a huge pain when it comes to this. They like to force you to use their equipment even when technically you could use your own like on DSL. Partially this is because they want to sell you their bundled services and it needs their router even when you tell them you will only buy internet and nothing else.

Most companies if you push the issue will put their device in bridge mode but not ATT. Even their 5 ip thing is extremely messy to use there router still is in the path it not really bridged. I guess the only good thing is the newer equipment does not seem to hurt your performance.

The only solution really is what is recommended in the above post. You still have NAT in the path so it can cause some issue for say DYNDNS support on your router and some forms of VPN are harder to configure. It does solve most the other issues you would want to have bridge mode.
The thing is Im on a update where theres no DMZ plus so, di I change my ip to static and get the 5 ips for 15$ a month to use my router?

Jul 27, 2021
Jul 27, 2021
Are you connected to the WAN port or 4port switch of your router? It seems this walkthrough wants to set your router to Access Point mode, so most likely you'll need to connect to the 4port switch of the netgear router.
Yes, ( at&t router/modem to the router WAN port) I've tried to connecting it to the 4port switch and I get internet (lan and wifi) (even tho it doesn't show it on the router) but when I do that I can't access the router software is like it doesn't detect the device. .. so when I connect it through the WAN port it shows I get internet but I don't really have internet and when I connect it through the 4 port it shows I get no internet but I have internet both and with the 2 options I still cant access the router settings

Do you know the DHCP range of your ATT router? It'll usually say what the max number of clients is and the DHCP start ip address.

I would give your netgear router a static IP address outside the ATT DHCP range, then you should be able to use that ip address anytime you want to access your netgear router.

Jul 27, 2021
Do you know the DHCP range of your ATT router? It'll usually say what the max number of clients is and the DHCP start ip address.

I would give your netgear router a static IP address outside the ATT DHCP range, then you should be able to use that ip address anytime you want to access your netgear router.
How can I give my router a static ip do I switch to static and do the video that I linked at the beginning of the thread?
dont know bout the DHCP range but when I go to the "Subnets & DHCP" section and theres 2 ips on DHCP server
DHCPv4 Start Address :192.168.#.#4
DHCPv4 End Address : 192.168.#.#5

Last edited:
I haven't used netgear's latest UI, but in the past you can just set the IP address of the router. Then change it to access point mode and it'll keep the same ip address. Just make sure that ip address is outside the DHCP range of your ATT router. There is no verbage that says "static" in the UI.

Jul 27, 2021
To be clear here, you're only using the netgear router as an access point for it's wifi antenna's only. You won't get any benefits like the QOS and other gaming features you may want.
So theres no way for me to use the router features with at&t even if I pay the 15$ for the block of static ips and switch to static

You can make the netgear run as a router. There are a number of these guides and it is rather confusing. It is very different from when I played with one that had the feature called DMZ+ but they may have just changed the name.

I know when I did this you had to power cycle the ATT device.

Try to find another guide. It should be possible.

If you get into your netgear router what does it show for its wan IP. It should show a public IP. I am pretty sure it shows the same public IP you see on whatsmyip before you make any changes. Now ATT might have started to assign things like carrier nat ip like 100.x.x.x rather than public IP. That is a different problem not really related to running it in "bridge" mode

I think the netgear router has the ability to run ping and trace commands from its menu. Can the router itself get to the internet.

Reactions: SamirD
Have you tried your netgear router as a router using the WAN port?

Only follow the tutorial for the ATT BGW210 . Then do a full hard reset on your router to erase it back to factory out of the box condition. Connect the ATT BGW210 to the Netgear's WAN port and set it up as a new router, not an access point.

Jul 27, 2021
You can make the netgear run as a router. There are a number of these guides and it is rather confusing. It is very different from when I played with one that had the feature called DMZ+ but they may have just changed the name.

I know when I did this you had to power cycle the ATT device.

Try to find another guide. It should be possible.

If you get into your netgear router what does it show for its wan IP. It should show a public IP. I am pretty sure it shows the same public IP you see on whatsmyip before you make any changes. Now ATT might have started to assign things like carrier nat ip like 100.x.x.x rather than public IP. That is a different problem not really related to running it in "bridge" mode

I think the netgear router has the ability to run ping and trace commands from its menu. Can the router itself get to the internet.
Thats the thing I can't access my router its like It doesn't have an IP so I currently have it connected like this (at&t router/modem to the 4port since its the only way the router will give access to the internet) I went to whatsmyip when being connected to the router and itslike 99.128.#.### looked that ip on the browser and I get a "this site can't be reached" same thing when I go to "https://www.routerlogin.com/" which is the webiste I need to go to access the router it will apparently just send you straight to the router software and ask you for login and password but it just gives me a error and it says
"CONNECT TO YOUR ROUTER’S WIFI NETWORK"

Last edited:
So start over and reset the netgear.
You should be able to get into the router and configure it. Your really only need to set the admin and wifi passwords nothing else matters at this point. Do not connect it to anything other than your PC. Check the device and get the mac address of the WAN port. The lan and wan ports can have different mac addresses.

Now follow the procedure to put the att device in passthough mode.

I would save the config and reboot the ATT box. If you want you could log back into the att to be sure the config has not changed.

Now connect into the netgear router so you can watch it connect. Plug the wan port of the netgear into the ATT router. Your netgear router should now get a IP on its wan port. Netgear has changed software since I last used their products but it should have a log file and you should see messages if this does not work.

....a extra comment. Use 192.168.1.1 to access your netgear. I never trust those urls to work.

Reactions: SamirD
Jul 27, 2021
Have you tried your netgear router as a router using the WAN port?

Only follow the tutorial for the ATT BGW210 . Then do a full hard reset on your router to erase it back to factory out of the box condition. Connect the ATT BGW210 to the Netgear's WAN port and set it up as a new router, not an access point.
Yea already tried that but I get no connection from my netgear when I put it on the WAN port
So start over and reset the netgear.
You should be able to get into the router and configure it. Your really only need to set the admin and wifi passwords nothing else matters at this point. Do not connect it to anything other than your PC. Check the device and get the mac address of the WAN port. The lan and wan ports can have different mac addresses.

Now follow the procedure to put the att device in passthough mode.

I would save the config and reboot the ATT box. If you want you could log back into the att to be sure the config has not changed.

Now connect into the netgear router so you can watch it connect. Plug the wan port of the netgear into the ATT router. Your netgear router should now get a IP on its wan port. Netgear has changed software since I last used their products but it should have a log file and you should see messages if this does not work.

....a extra comment. Use 192.168.1.1 to access your netgear. I never trust those urls to work.
Power cycled both devices made sure the at&t modem was on ip passthrough and I'm still having issues it just when I connect it from the at&t router/modem to the netgear WAN port I don't get any wifi the netgear router shows that it has wifi it just doesn't give me internet access View: https://imgur.com/a/4WxTVF4

At&t modem/router > netgear WAN port and I only have 1lan cable so from the 4 port > my pc View: https://imgur.com/a/1XZcH49

Oh and I get the same error when I only connect the router to the pc I get no internet access when looking up any ip and nothing comes up like a login and password

Last edited:
You shouldn't use https://www.routerlogin.com/ to access your router. The IP address can usually be found in your network adapter properties, it's usually listed as the default gateway.

Can you take some screenshots of the WAN settings page of the netgear router? It might be helpful to see what we can type in there.

What's the ip address of the ATT router and ip of your Netgear router? Hopefully they are different and not trying to occupy the same address.

Jul 27, 2021
You shouldn't use https://www.routerlogin.com/ to access your router. The IP address can usually be found in your network adapter properties, it's usually listed as the default gateway.

Can you take some screenshots of the WAN settings page of the netgear router? It might be helpful to see what we can type in there.

What's the ip address of the ATT router and ip of your Netgear router? Hopefully they are different and not trying to occupy the same address.
View: http://imgur.com/a/vaCmQQf

The ip address of the at&t router is 192.168.1.254 and have no idea whats the ip of the router it doesn't say it anywhere but on the at&t config it says "ip passthrough address 99.128.#.###" which is my ip

Go to this page and click on DETAILS.

win-autoip-02-en.png

If using the netgear as a router with it's NAT and DHCP enabled. The default gateway shown above as your ATT router address would be wrong I think but not positive. I've never used ATT fiber equipment, only have experiensc with Comcast and smaller DSL providers. All of which allow a proper bridged mode.

I think the gateway should be your netgear IP address if that's the one you want to do NAT.

Disconnect the netgear router from your ATT equipment. Just set it up by itself, not connected to anything. Do a full hard reset on the netgear router. Then plug your pc into it and check the DETAILS page again to see what ip and gateway it gives.

Jul 27, 2021
If using the netgear as a router with it's NAT and DHCP enabled. The default gateway shown above as your ATT router address would be wrong I think but not positive. I've never used ATT fiber equipment, only have experiensc with Comcast and smaller DSL providers. All of which allow a proper bridged mode.

I think the gateway should be your netgear IP address if that's the one you want to do NAT.

Disconnect the netgear router from your ATT equipment. Just set it up by itself, not connected to anything. Do a full hard reset on the netgear router. Then plug your pc into it and check the DETAILS page again to see what ip and gateway it gives.
View: https://imgur.com/a/pMT9XOf

Did that and it still gives me the same ipv4 gateway the router is only connected to the pc and nothing else is connected to the router