Bridged ethernet mode help

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
How do I switch my router or modem which ever one it is to Bridged ethernet mode so I stop getting disconnected from the internet? I am on optimum online.

Please help, my other thread died without getting any help on how to do this.

We need a little more background.

Is this cable, dsl, fiber? What’s the make & model of modem? What’s the make & model of router?

I’m not sure what YOU mean by “bridged ethernet”, or why this would have anything to do w/ getting connected/disconnected from the Internet. If I was to guess, based on what I’ve seen w/ DSL customers, they sometimes want to take their combo dsl modem+router and place it in bridge mode so they can connect their own router. Using bridge mode basically demotes the modem+router into only a modem. The routing responsibilities are then passed to their own router.

But again, I don’t know what any of this would have to do w/ your stated problem. So maybe I’m completely offbase.

I read that thread, that guy is totally wrong about what's going on.

First the modem talks to your router not to your computer so if the modem changes IPs, the computer would never know about it.

Second the modem should pretty much never change its IP. Some ISPs do make an exception to that but for the most part, your modem IP stays the same untill you reset it. Even then it tends to pick up the same one because the IP is sent over based on the MAC address, and the DHCP server on the ISP would need to clear it's records before it gives a MAC address a new IP.

So what you are trying to do won't help you one bit. Try changing network ports on the modem from one you are using. Have you power-cycled the router? Does it clear things up for a while if you do that? Have you checked for an updated fimrware for the router?

Now I see where you’re coming from.

Unfortunately that's not your solution. It doesn’t even accurately describe your problem. Notice that sapius leaves one small detail for the very end that makes all the difference; it only applies to DSL! And even then, only to DSL users who use a combo DSL modem+router (something he never mentions).

Even if you had DSL, and a combo DSL modem+router, sapius hasn’t actually addressed the root cause. He’s merely described a means to remove the double NAT that occurs when someone using a DSL modem+router wants to add a second router of their own choosing.

[dsl modem+router](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router]

By placing the DSL modem+router in “bridge mode”, it effectively demotes the DSL modem+router to just a modem (thus eliminating the first NAT/firewall). That’s all well and good, and has some advantages, but it does NOTHING to correct the dropped connections between the modem and ISP, if that indeed is what’s happening. Heck, it doesn’t even correct the problem of the client being unaware of the dropped connection between the modem and the ISP, as he suggests. Since any clients behind the router are only indirectly accessing the modem, whether there’s one or even 100 routers, those clients are never “notified” about problems w/ that connection until Internet access is attempted. IOW, as far as I can tell, it doesn’t even correct the problem for those individuals for whom this would apply (DSL users). At least it’s not obvious to me it would.

In a nutshell, to the extent any of sapius’s comments are accurate (only partially imo), it only applies to DSL, and only DSL users w/ a combo DSL modem+router. In the world of cable and separate modem and router devices, it’s completely irrelevant.