bridging a usb modem to the network

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to create a software bridge in Windows XP
between a LAN connection and a USB ADSL Modem connected to one of the
computers to allow the other computer to access the internet. I have tried
enabling ICS on the modem but that seems to be disabled in XP. If this is
not possible then is there another way to share the Internet connection of
the USB modem?

Thanks for any pointers.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Internet Connection Sharing on the modem? Unless the modem is a
modem/router combo, that's not the way it works. ICS itself turns a windows
box into a simple NAT router. If the Modem is a modem/router combo, it
should have at least one LAN side ethernet port which could be connected
directly to a second computer OR a hub or switch to facilitate physical
connections to other computers.

If using ICS on the windows box, the computer must have an ethernet port
that can be assigned to LAN traffic (the WAN side being connected via USB).
If two computers are connected directly together, the network cable must be
a crossover cable. Otherwise, the ICS computer can be connected to a hub or
switch to facilitate the physical connection to one or more other computers.
A crossover cable would not be needed if a hub or switch is used.

On 9/1/05 1:02 PM, in article 11hdnooddjp6o6d@corp.supernews.com, "pengulin"
<rr@spokanne.net> wrote:

> Internet Connection Sharing on the modem? Unless the modem is a
> modem/router combo, that's not the way it works. ICS itself turns a windows
> box into a simple NAT router. If the Modem is a modem/router combo, it
> should have at least one LAN side ethernet port which could be connected
> directly to a second computer OR a hub or switch to facilitate physical
> connections to other computers.
Sorry, but using the sharing control panel you can share any connection via
any other connection.

Meaning you can have a modem connection which you share with other computers
via Ethernet, firewire, or airport.

ej

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

> Sorry, but using the sharing control panel you can share any connection
via
> any other connection.
>
> Meaning you can have a modem connection which you share with other
computers
> via Ethernet, firewire, or airport.
>
> ej

Sorry? EJ? Did you not see the second paragraph in my post? The "sharing
control panel" you speak of allows Windows Xp users to control Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS). ICS is a software component of Windows that allows
the operating system to act as a simple "Network Address Translator" to
route packets back and forth between the public internet and a private local
network. In order for ICS to work, Windows must recognize two network
adaptors -- one for use on the public WAN, and one to use for the local LAN.
In the OP's case, the public WAN network adaptor is the USB xDsl modem (as
far as Windows is concerned, a USB-connected dsl modem is the same thing as
a standard NIC... that happens to be connected to an xDSL modem). The other
(private LAN) network adaptor would normally have to be a standard ethernet
NIC (although wireless and HPNA adaptors could be used as well).

Alas I think we both have failed to answer the OP's question. From what I
gather, the OP seems unable to select the USB modem as a network device to
use in ICS. This could be a driver issue (especially if the device is not
showing up at all as an option within ICS). If this is the issue, the OP
should check device manager to make sure the xDSL modem is recognized (it
would normally show up as a network adaptor, not as a "modem"). If it is not
recognized properly in device manager, the OP should consult the
manufacturers instructions for the device to install its drivers properly.