Bridging my university's wifi to access point?

Seb_2_

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Hi all

I have a similar question to that posed in this thread, but a bit different: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2347962/bridging-public-wifi-time-warner-wifi-connection-access-point.html

In my apartment, I can access my university's secured wifi. I do need a username and password to login. Unfortunately I can only get signal from the window. So I'm looking for an access point that can connect to the university's wifi, and I would then access the internet through the access point.

I have checked with my university and they did not see any problem with doing this but weren't sure how to set it up.

Can you guys confirm that the router here (same as the one in the above link), will work with this set up? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBU8IE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tomshardware_forum_vgl-20

Is there anything I need to look out for?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
It should work!

The device you linked is certainly designed to do it, that is for sure. It can act as a client AP and repeater for you.

I have a very similar model i use as a client AP for a CCTV system that i can't get hard wired to my network.
Granted there isn't any log in to get past with my setup - but the point is the device itself should be able to do it - if it is possible.
It should work!

The device you linked is certainly designed to do it, that is for sure. It can act as a client AP and repeater for you.

I have a very similar model i use as a client AP for a CCTV system that i can't get hard wired to my network.
Granted there isn't any log in to get past with my setup - but the point is the device itself should be able to do it - if it is possible.

Solution

Seb_2_

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Cheers for your quick response. That's good to know.

Two more questions.

1) Can i connect my laptop via wifi to the AP? Or do I have to connect it via a network cable?
2) I presume I can't use the router I already have to do this? It's this one: http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/TL-WR841N.html. I presume it can't because it doesn't have a bridge ability, but I googled that you can reprogram these to act as an AP? Confused!

Thanks again

Right. OK so that first one linked has a client AP mode. That is what you'd use if you wanted to get a device without wifi connected, like an Xbox. You can also connect a switch to it - so client AP is a bridge in the literal sense of the word bridge. That unit can also be a repeater - take a wifi signal and rebroadcast it.

That router of yours - it can be an AP because it can take a wired Ethernet connection and blast out wifi. It can't repeat wifi, but it can act as an AP given a wired connection. Basically you'd just disable routing and it would be an access point.

The $24 one you linked is your best bet. It can act as a client and a repeater. If repeating doesn't work, it can at least act as a client and live by your window.

Seb_2_

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Cheers for your help :)

Seb_2_

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Hi again

I got the AP but I've run into a problem. I can't find the MAC address of the university's public wifi AP. I think it may be hidden? When I do a scan via the AP, the uni's AP doesn't come up. But I can see it fine when I do a normal scan (i.e. through my phone). I presume public wifi APs hide their MAC so that random people can't extend their network using an AP? (which is what I'm doing to be honest, except only for myself!).