"Bridging" public wifi (time warner wifi) connection with access point

DroidsBeforeBoids

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Hello!
I'm a first time poster, so sorry if I sound n00b-ish :(

Here's some background info...I have a TWC subscription, so I have acess to their wifi hotspots when I'm away from home. The problem is, I only get signal near a window, not through the whole apartment. Also, I want to use a chromecast, so it requires a more private SSID. When connecting a device like a laptop, I first connect to the TWCWiFi SSID. The device then takes me to a login page. There I enter the username and password for the account. After doing that once, the MAC address is stored by TWC so I don't even have to log in again. My goal is to connect to the wifi with something that broadcasts a new SSID that I can keep on the window and allow all my devices (including chromecast) to connect to it.

I bought this TP-Link product, because it has a picture in the description of exactly what I wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBU8IE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They call it "Bridge Mode (WISP Mode)"

When I got the product, I was able to set it to "Bridge Mode", connect to the TWCWiFi SSID, but I coudn't get a login page, only "not connected to internet errors". I tried setting the IP address and other settings to the same as a device when it was connected, but it didn't help.

What am I doing wrong????

Solution
Its going to be hard to say if you are actually going to be able to get this to work since you could create a wide open wireless hotspot and have one person pay for the service and lots of people use it. It depends how tough TWC is going to make it for you.

You almost have stated the problem, you know TWC has authorized the mac address and has stored it. That means all your traffic must come from that mac address.

You do not have the correct equipment.

You need a router that is the only device that will make all traffic appear as it comes form a single mac. The problem is there are not a lot of routers that have the ability to have their WAN be a wireless signal.

Since you already have the tplink box and it can run in...
Its going to be hard to say if you are actually going to be able to get this to work since you could create a wide open wireless hotspot and have one person pay for the service and lots of people use it. It depends how tough TWC is going to make it for you.

You almost have stated the problem, you know TWC has authorized the mac address and has stored it. That means all your traffic must come from that mac address.

You do not have the correct equipment.

You need a router that is the only device that will make all traffic appear as it comes form a single mac. The problem is there are not a lot of routers that have the ability to have their WAN be a wireless signal.

Since you already have the tplink box and it can run in client-bridge mode what you can do is buy a router and plug the tplink box into the wan port. This will in effect make your router accept its wan on wireless.

Still TWC can likely make it hard on you to make this work if they wanted to.

Solution