Brief Horizontal Lines on Display during Boot Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
ASUS Sabertooth z170s
Dell S2716DG 27" GSYNC (running 1440p resolution and 144Hz refresh)
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

2 weeks ago, I upgraded to the 1080 Ti. Everything has been working properly, except sometimes on the ASUS boot screen with the spinning dots circle, 4 to 5 multicolor horizontal lines flash across the length of the screen even with the dots for about a second.

Once Windows Login screen displays, I dont see any further issues... except when it wakes from sleep, there is a split second where the display is not the login screen (looks almost like the old vertical hold distortion on analog TV/VCRs :)).

Drivers are all up to date, the only other thing I monkeyed with is the max fps in Precision X, which I set to 144.

Any ideas on what is causing this? Anybody seen something similar? I almost think the GPU and the monitor are "syncing up" for that split second... But I do not recall this behavior with the 1070 I used to run.

Solution
make sure the asus mb has the newest bios file. if the lines are still there turn off the asus boot logo and in windows 10 turn off gui boot. this keep the displa yfrom going from vga for the bios splash screen and then trying to sink to windows 10 high end output.
make sure the asus mb has the newest bios file. if the lines are still there turn off the asus boot logo and in windows 10 turn off gui boot. this keep the displa yfrom going from vga for the bios splash screen and then trying to sink to windows 10 high end output.

Solution

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
I checked on the BIOS, I am like 3-4 versions behind, and the latest states "VGA card compatability" as an issue addressed.

It is interesting, I did not know you could disable GUI boot, learn something new every day.

I will try the BIOS fix today/tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the lead!

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
Flashed BIOS to latest, did not fix it. I think it is likely benign, since it is brief, random, and only during the ASUS boot screen that looks blurry anyways... I don't think I will disable GUI boot yet, but I appreciate the info, I wasn't aware that such an option existed.

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
OK, so there's an update to my issue. After the BIOS fixed did not work, I did some more googling and found an interesting post from about a year ago regarding 1080s and high refresh rate monitors.

My monitor is a Dell 27" GSYNC 1440p 144Hz... I have it set to 144Hz, I can confirm every time I wake from Sleep mode, the load screen appears, flashes horizontal lines across it for a split second, then displays as normal. When I set the refresh to 60Hz, the issue goes away!

Has anyone seen a similar issue on high refresh monitors lately??? I have the latest NVIDIA driver from just the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.