Question Brightness dips suddenly when playing games with HDR on

mandar.powale.79

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018
Hi

About a week ago I purchased an LG 24GN60R-B Monitor and I tried playing games like Hogwarts Legacy , Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn to name a few, with HDR on.

I have an Zotac RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC 12GB GPU and I purchased a DP 1.4 cable from Amazon for Gsync. Dips in brightness occur on Windows 11 and installed Windows 10 recently. I installed monitor driver for Windows 10, there wasn't one available for Windows 11. Yet the issue persists.

I couldn't find a color profile , but the default profile is there and I enabled it some time ago, will try again now. I notice the brightness dip even on windows screen sometimes, have to toggle HDR to get it back to normal.

I don't know if the monitor is faulty or what? Since its recently purchased it is under warranty.

Help me, and let me know if you need to know anything more.

Other specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X
RAM: 2 x 16GB DDR4 3200
SSD: Kingston 1TB SVN1000G M.2 NVMe
PSU: Antec 750W Gold Rated

Hey there,

Firstly, I would say there are all sorts of anomolous behaviour in Windows with HDR on. I find it glitchy too. I tried the Windows HDR calibration tool, and whilst it helped, it doesn't really tell you in clear terms what you are looking for. If you move a slider too far, then the result can be that some screens/apps show in pink instead of white.

You can download the ICC profile of that monitor from Rtings: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gn650-b

I found these ICC settings to be good (for my own monitor).

Keep in mind that different apps/games etc will potentially show HDR effects differently. It feels like HDR on Windows is more of an afterthought than something they try to make really good.