Question Brightness Flickering when FreeSync is activated?

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
This problem has been for weeks and I couldn't stand it. I've done alot of research ( reading a thread with 873 replies) still it left me with no solution at all. You can see what is the problem is on the title obviously. The only fix for this issue is by turning off FreeSync which is a true bummer because I bought my monitor because I wanted to experience FreeSync without any problems. I wasn't aware that this technology could have this common problem.

I did a process of elimination. A bit of problem when using an HDMI cable. I pushed the limits of my monitor by setting it to 120hz when the monitor can only support 60hz ~ HDMI cable so that is the monitor side, but no problems when using freesync at 60hz. No issue on my GPU because I tested my monitor on another GPU and still got the same result. A bit weird though, my screen flickers on FreeSync Demo but his card doesn't STILL both cards flicker still on games (We tested it on minecraft and startbound). The process of elimination has left me with the monitor... OR the drivers, because we were using the same drivers that time when we were testing two different GPUs for my monitor.

It is also weird too that my games flicker within the FreeSync range (50-144).
Expected behavior? I want to game without any brightness flickering, but flickering in game menu is reasonable.

Games that my monitor flickers:
Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, Witcher 3, Borderlands 3, Star wars fallen order (only when fps drops kicks in).

Games that don't flicker as far as I know:
Rage 2 (Flickers once but rarely)

I tried to DDU into different versions of drivers,"19" 10.1, 10.3, 11.1, 11.3, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3. Same result.

A video showing my problem.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-d2gZGbsz8&t=21s

Note: The flickering is not only one side but the whole screen is. I only captured the part that is the most noticable by my camera

My Specs

MONITOR: HKC M24G3F, DisplayPort Cable

RYZEN 5 2600
RX 5700 XT
TUF 3200 MHZ 16GB
A320 PRO VH PLUS
SEASONIC S12II 520W

Last edited: