Question Brightness flickering while Freesync is enabled

Oct 13, 2019
Hey guys,

I just got my very first gaming rig set up and am extremely happy with everything, except for one thing, which is driving me absolutely crazy. Searching online, it appears this problem is extremely common, although it seems to occur more often on curved VA panels. The thing that I am dealing with is brightness flickering whenever I play games with Freesync enabled. This is a huge let down for me, as one of the reasons I spent so much on my first gaming rig was to be able to take advantage of AMD's Freesync technology.

I have been scouring the internet for the past few days trying every possible solution to this, but so far nothing has worked. These are the details of my rig:

[GPU] RX 5700 XT

[CPU] Ryzen 5 3600

[Motherboard] Asus TUF X570 Pro Wifi

[RAM] Corsair RGB PRO 16gb 3200

[PSU] SeaSonic 650W FOCUS 80+ Gold

[Storage] 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

The monitor that I am using with this rig is an MSI Optix MAG241C. It is a curved VA panel.

Some people have said this is a driver issue. Some people have said this is a monitor issue. Some people have said this is an issue with the way Freesync technology works in general, and cannot be fixed. I do have a high-quality VESA certified DisplayPort cable coming in the next few days which I'll try out, but unfortunately, I do not think that will work, as others I've spoken to with my exact monitor + issue have said that using a different DisplayPort cable didn't fix it.

Here are all the things I have done to try and fix it:

Messing with AMD Radeon settings

Messing with different Freesync ranges using CRU, a software that overrides your monitor's Freesync range (read and tried everything on this link... maybe I was doing it incorrectly? https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/agcj4a View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/agcj4a/how_to_eliminate_flickering_on_gsyncfreesync/
)

Changing the ports that the cables are connected to, in both the monitor and the GPU

Changing from an HDMI cable to a DisplayPort cable

I'm at the end of my wits at this point... if someone can help me fix this issue, I will literally PayPal you $20. I'm not kidding.

ASK THE COMMUNITY