[SOLVED] Bringing an old laptop back to life ?

Mcaru

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
I'm trying to rehab my 2012 Toshiba Satellite P845t. It was completely dead.

I replaced the battery and power supply. The indicators now light up. When I try to turn it on, the power button, battery indicator, and on/off indicator flash once, but nothing else whatsoever happens.

I connected the hard drive to my pc and it worked perfectly fine. (bonus - I found almost 600 old photos and videos!)

Is there a specific component that is the "next" likely culprit? Or is it more or less equal chance to be any of them?

Solution
Sounds to me like the motherboard is toast. A couple of quick things you could try but chances are slim:

remove the battery and try to start it,
if you think the battery is charged, put the battery in, remove the power supply and try to start it.
it's likely your cmos battery is dead but It should start up without that (as far as I know) ... it'll just have the wrong date. You could replace that (they're only a couple of $s) and try.
Sounds to me like the motherboard is toast. A couple of quick things you could try but chances are slim:

if you think the battery is charged, put the battery in, remove the power supply and try to start it.
it's likely your cmos battery is dead but It should start up without that (as far as I know) ... it'll just have the wrong date. You could replace that (they're only a couple of $s) and try.

Solution
Jul 2, 2020

I agree it's very likely the motherboard. You could try to follow the power with a multimeter and see if there is a short on the board. But takes time, knowledge and I don't think it makes sense to do on a 2012 Laptop.