Bringing Computer to New Status

I upgraded my Win 98 custom built computer to XP Pro a few years ago and
recently had a problem. I reloaded XP but could not make the OS erase the
entire disk and start over.

I now have two OS to choose from on start up. Both XP, but one has my old
desktop. [

I reloaded XP a second time but still had the second OS.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Dennis

HOW TO Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022

Remove the line for the old OS in [operating systems] by going to Start/Run, and typing C:\BOOT.INI Be sure 'default=' points to the
new OS (or) In XP, press WinKey-Break,(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl'), Advanced Tab, "Start Up and Recovery" area, Settings button, then
edit the old line out with the edit button. Reboot, and delete the files for the old OS. Don't format C:, you will need some stuff
in the C: root.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindsjpring.com> wrote in message news:OcrnHnkNFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I upgraded my Win 98 custom built computer to XP Pro a few years ago and recently had a problem. I reloaded XP but could not make
>the OS erase the entire disk and start over.
>
> I now have two OS to choose from on start up. Both XP, but one has my old desktop. [
>
> I reloaded XP a second time but still had the second OS.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

Mark,

Worked just fine. Thanks,

Dennis

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HOW TO Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022
>
> Remove the line for the old OS in [operating systems] by going to
> Start/Run, and typing C:\BOOT.INI Be sure 'default=' points to the new OS
> (or) In XP, press WinKey-Break,(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl'), Advanced Tab,
> "Start Up and Recovery" area, Settings button, then edit the old line out
> with the edit button. Reboot, and delete the files for the old OS. Don't
> format C:, you will need some stuff in the C: root.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp