Bringing PC parts in carry on luggage?

JacksonAK92

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
I'm going to be moving in a couple of weeks and am traveling on a plane. I need to bring my PC home with me and shipping it really isn't an option for me. My plan is to disassemble the PC, wrap everything in a ton of anti-static wrap, and bring it on the plane in a dufflebag with lots of extra padding, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get through security with it? I honestly have no idea what the rules are for PC parts but it just feels like it would probably look really suspicious? Does anyone have any idea if I'd run into problems or would I be fine?

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this, wasn't sure where to post it.

The only thing to worry about likely is the CPU cooler. Usually you want to remove that so it doesn't damage the CPU area.

For the REST I'd just wrap it up in a box with proper padding. Unless it's a very small computer, you'd likely have to wrap it in a box and have it shipped as extra baggage. Not carry on likely.

You would have to lookup the size/weight constraints related to your ticket as that can vary.

JacksonAK92

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

Well I don't plan on bringing the case. I was going to buy a new case and have that shipped to where I'm moving to. My plan was to wrap the components of my PC individually (mobo, GPU, harddrives, etc) and put the individually wrapped components in my carry on. It wouldn't be very bulky without the case, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to bring PC components on a plane? That was pretty much my question.