Bringing PC Parts on a Plane

Pineapple20

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
In a few months time I am visiting New York for a casual holiday and I had the thought of buying a graphics card there. I plan on getting a GTX 970 from a US Site rather than the UK because it seems that I could save a substantial amount of money by doing so.

I have a friend living in New York and he's agreed that he can pay and ship the card to his home there. I intend to pick it up and bring it home to the UK.

I plan on either bringing it on the plane by either putting it in a suitcase or hand luggage but I am not sure if this is allowed. Will I get stopped by customs and will I need to pay some sort of tax? If it helps I'll be travelling from JFK to Heathrow.

Thanks in advance!

The Card:
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814125684

Solution
Just call the the airport help line and ask what the policy's are about bringing goods into other countrys and about the taxes on that.

ajhockey3

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
I haven't travel in awhile. One part I do remember is they swab computer parts and large laptops to make sure its not some sort of bomb. Make sure you get the recept from the store or a service invoice to prove that TAX was PAID. If you don't bring that then you have to pay tax at the border.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

as far as I know , in EU you are allowed to bring in around 450 euros stuff while traveling without the need to pay any taxes .

I dont know about UK so check with them and ask about it.

if you buy stuff more than 450 euros , you can ask the seller to write you a lower price invoice , or you can open the box and claim you bought it used second hand.

make your friend write you an invoice of second hand sale.

Pineapple20

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Ok, that's good to know. So I'll get it off my friend and make sure he gives me the reciept. The card is about $350 which is about £230 in the UK so surely that wont break that limit. If this is the case it is possible to buy a CPU (such as an i7-6700K)? I know this is pushing it but its about $360 which is about the same price as the GPU. Is it possible to buy one if I have to opportunity or is it not worth the risk. It seems like it would be in a small box. I forgot to mention that I'm coming with 3 other family members so maybe they could take it in their bag/suitcase?

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

you need to ask how it is in UK , UK is different from other EU countries ...

if they have the same limit , you can get many things for each ADULT person. but please ask .