Question Broadband dropping out regularly but router shows its still online

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
My broadband is now dropping out regularly, but the modem router, which normally turns orange when line drops , is still showing blue and appeaers to still have signal. These dropouts last 5-10 minutes and then it comes back on. Have you suffered from similar and if so, have you any suggestions?

Ralston18

Titan
Have you tried another known working cable between the modem/router and the device being "dropped"?

Or are all devices being dropped? Any wireless devices on your network?

More information and detail is needed. E.g., Who is your ISP and what make and model is the modem/router?

Dropped... I read "can't connect to Internet." OK, that's too broad, u have to dig deeper.

When this happens (like yesterday by chance here), I immediately suspected ISP (my LAN is solid, I built it) and sure enough the Modem's light was dark. So first thing to verify, the lights.

Then I would Ethernet directly to the modem and from there, the modem box, verify that I still have a public IP, and attempt to ping the ISP Gateway, then to a known website IP from the modem box itself, not your PC. I wager 99% of the time this will be successful, which signifies there is something wrong in your house, not ISP's fault.

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Thks for your detailed responses. When this first happened I did try another working cable and also another modem/router, but the same thing kept occurring.
The only visual clue to the failure is the rectangular symbol, indicating 'Internet Access' disappears and is replaced by 'Globe' symbol on taskbar (Win 10 x64). I also have a wired connection to TV and this also flags up 'No Internet Connection'.
My Modem routers are BT Hub 5 and TP-Link Archer VR900 V2 - only use Hub 5 as back up spare, but both behave similarly when I tested them over this issue.
About to do the testing you suggest. Thks again for the interest.