News Broadcom disappointed with Intel 18A process technology — says it's not currently viable for high-volume production

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
I guess Intel went full GM/Boeing in the last 5-10 years. Don't understand how the company could allow itself to screw up in so many levels. Did they replace all their management with useless MBA's in the last decade?

Reactions: Marlin1975

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
I don't know what to make of this article. What can I compare it to? When else has foundry satisfaction been in news? When Samsung and TSMC were both making iPhone chips? I guess more recently when Nvidia 3000 chips were made on the Samsung 8nm node. Does Broadcom make a lot of chips? Are they unhappy with the rate of progress, the tooling, the defect rate, or the performance of the defect-free parts? Or is piling on Intel just what'd popular today? What's the purpose in saying anything at all, since having Intel as an alternative is no worse than having no alternative. Publicly giving a bad report about Intel shouldn't help Broadcom.

Marlin1975

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know what to make of this article. What can I compare it to? When else has foundry satisfaction been in news? When Samsung and TSMC were both making iPhone chips? I guess more recently when Nvidia 3000 chips were made on the Samsung 8nm node. Does Broadcom make a lot of chips? Are they unhappy with the rate of progress, the tooling, the defect rate, or the performance of the defect-free parts? Or is piling on Intel just what'd popular today? What's the purpose in saying anything at all, since having Intel as an alternative is no worse than having no alternative. Publicly giving a bad report about Intel shouldn't help Broadcom.

You have it backwards, Intel needs broadcom not the other way.

Intel is desperate for cash flow and having a 3rd party say your "company saving" node is not good is a bad sign. Broadcom can go else where like you said. Intel needs money so it has few options.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
You have it backwards, Intel needs broadcom not the other way.

Intel is desperate for cash flow and having a 3rd party say your "company saving" node is not good is a bad sign. Broadcom can go else where like you said. Intel needs money so it has few options.
My point is simply that Broadcam has nothing to gain by giving a bad report about Intel. Since there are only 3 foundry providers outside of China it's unwise to alienate one. Whoever gave this report to Reuters is rogue or stupid.

And my larger point is that without more context, this bad report about Intel is meaningless. Many things could explain the dissatisfaction, and Intel is still new to catering to foundry customers.

Reactions: rtoaht

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I guess it depends on how the wafer contract is made. If Intel is willing to absorb the defective wafer cost, it can be a good deal and might attract customers from TSMC.
Intel is not currently in a position to absorb more losses, though. They need customers, but they also need to recoup the upfront investment in these nodes. Poor yields put them between a rock and a hard place.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
I guess Intel went full GM/Boeing in the last 5-10 years. Don't understand how the company could allow itself to screw up in so many levels. Did they replace all their management with useless MBA's in the last decade?
Definitely 10 years. The Downfall, Spectre and Meltdown bugs crippled Intel chips by 30%-50%. Since Intel was making only incremental gains in performance every year, these exploits set Intel back by years. They also struggled for years to get beyond 10nm capability - something even China managed to do using DUV machines. It's the same old story. They were so far ahead of AMD that they became apathetic. I'm convinced now that the Core 2 Duo and Quad series were an accident. Before that Intel was running Pentium 4 chips that were hot and slow.

My point is simply that Broadcam has nothing to gain by giving a bad report about Intel. Since there are only 3 foundry providers outside of China it's unwise to alienate one. Whoever gave this report to Reuters is rogue or stupid.
Call it the BlackBerry effect. Bad press reduces prospects, which generates further bad press, which reduces further prospects, etc. Intel can get out of this viscous cycle if they produce a good node.

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
I guess it depends on how the wafer contract is made. If Intel is willing to absorb the defective wafer cost, it can be a good deal and might attract customers from TSMC.
Intel is no longer sitting on the necessary cash pile for deals like that. They’re hemorrhaging over a billion a quarter right now.

Yeah it all depends on how low of a price they can offer, while still turning a profit. Intel has historically shown they have a problem with charging anything less than 1st tier pricing even when the product isn't worth that. Which results in the product under selling and eventually being cancelled. Wasting time and money.

Of course if they have to offer a price lower than production cost than that isn't sustainable long term unless they are sure they can reduce the waste quickly and turn the contract profitable in the longer term.

Acquiring customers for the foundry business is beyond critical for Intel. Even if their node was pumping out wafers with .1 defect density they still need to offer pricing lower than TSMC to win customer contracts.

Intel is for all intents and purposes the new guy on the block that nobody knows or trusts. They have to offer discounts until they earn a reputation for doing a good job.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
Agreed. The Reuters blurb itself is thin in information and cites three undisclosed sources "familiar" with the situation. This is not coming from an official source and needs to be taken without context.

TheHerald

Prominent
Feb 15, 2024
Public pressure to get a better deal.

Of course it's unethical but in the corporate business that's the normal I guess.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Public pressure to get a better deal.

Of course it's unethical but in the corporate business that's the normal I guess.
I don't see why Intel would give them a better deal, just because they say bad things about the node.

Fab customers aren't like you or me. They make decisions based on hard data. Badmouthing or speaking highly of a fab is unlikely to affect someone else's decision about whether to use it.

As for investors, any impact from comments like these will be very short-lived. Ultimately, what they care about are the profits and losses.

Reactions: ikjadoon
After Grove stepped down in 1998 Barrett (always forget about him for some reason) stepped down in 2005 until Gelsinger was hired in 2021 the CEOs were all financial types. You can imagine what happened next.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
I still believe they should put up a joint venture with AMD, rather than compete against AMD.
Both companies could benefit from that, while at the same time provide balance against Nvidia in the server and emerging AI market.