[SOLVED] Broke a capacitor off my GPU (R9 290X)

cruncx

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2012
So I've decided to change the thermal paste of my R9 290X, and when I removed the heatsink, realized that one of the capacitors was kinda hanging in a strange way.
Tried to straighten it - when I touched it, it just fell off.

Does anyone know if it is a power filter or something more important?
I'll try to find a electronic store to fix it, but not sure if I will. Don't really have the money to change my GPU, so any help would be more than welcome!

Here is my GPU exact model:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R929XOC-4GD#ov

Attached are two pics - first, how the capacitor was (kinda crooked)
The second, after it fell off.
First Pic
Second pic

Solution
Does the card work with that part broken off? If not then your option is to replace the card or find someone to fix it if you can't solder it back on or replace with a new one. I recently had to replace the same model card, it seems the GTX 1060 or RX 580 or 590 are comparable speeds or a bit faster, 1650 Super is also a good pick. Depends on what the cost to replace the part would be, but should be pretty cheap, cheaper than a new card.
Does the card work with that part broken off? If not then your option is to replace the card or find someone to fix it if you can't solder it back on or replace with a new one. I recently had to replace the same model card, it seems the GTX 1060 or RX 580 or 590 are comparable speeds or a bit faster, 1650 Super is also a good pick. Depends on what the cost to replace the part would be, but should be pretty cheap, cheaper than a new card.

Last edited:
Solution

cruncx

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2012
Thanks for the replies!
The card suggestions were great, so that I can have a start at what to look for in case I can't fix it.

Regarding the issue of the card working or not without the capacitor...
Tbh, I'm afraid of trying to use it and ending up blowing up other parts of the card itself - or even worse, other computer parts in case something goes really bad.
Do you think this is an unnecessary concern?
I have no idea about what kind of safety measures the cards have in place for situations like these.

Regarding the backside, here is a picture - I didn't really understand what you meant by asking if it's "clean". Could you explain a bit so that I can learn about it?

I work at a metallurgy, and talked to the maintenance coordinator. I'll try to find a capacitor in some store, two weekends from now, and give one of his workers a shot at trying to fix it! I hope all goes well.

If anyone have any other suggestions meanwhile, they're more than welcome!

Meanwhile, if I end up going this way, I'll make sure to post the end results - being them good or bad.

Backside