Question Broke my PCIe x16...can I get away with using PCIe x8 for a while?

RXS78

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hi all

Real schoolboy error! Swapping out for a new GPU, but I accidentally used a little too much force - basically I thought I had disengaged the latch but clearly not fully, and pulled the black housing off in error.

I'm running an i5-4670k with a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H board. Slot 2 seems to be a PCIe x8. I was swapping out my old GPU for a newer one. The plan was to upgrade the CPU/mobo/RAM in 6-12 months.

Do you think I can get away with using the PCIe x8 slot for the GPU for that long or am I going to have to bring forward my upgrade? I've put the old GPU back in for now just in case.

Did a brief test on CS:GO and the FPS doesn't seem to have been hampered significantly, although the first boot did crash to reboot just watching YouTube. I'm just concerned that I don't want to end up shorting/frying anything else and ending up without a PC at all at any point as I do use it for personal use and working from home as well, and have a lot of personal data to back up (which obviously I'll make a start on sooner rather than later!).

And "season's greetings" to you all by the way! :)

RXS78

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Using the alternate slot will be fine until you replace the motherboard. No worries.

Thanks for the reply COLGeek, and apologies for the late reply.
It seems I must have shorted the mobo with my mishap because I suddenly started to BSOD every time I logged in. So...a quick replacement of CPU/mobo/RAM later and I'm back online :( Looks like I got a little Xmas treat for myself in the end!

EDIT - for anyone else with a simiolar issue, the second PCIe slot did seem to work, but I clearly did more damage to my mobo than I thought.