Broke the cpu cooler - is it still ok?

Impie

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Hi,

I recently got a new graphics card and case for my PC, yesterday i begun to remove all the components from my old case and install that to the new one.

I remember that the last time I installed the CPU i had some difficulties getting the stock-cooler for my i7 to attach to the motherboard and this time was no different. (I removed it so I could clean it properly and replace the thermal paste). Unfortunately one of the feet broke then I was fiddling around and the small "clamps" that you push through the motherboard snapped.

Now to my question, would it be OK to attach it using the 3 remaining feet only? I managed to get a hold of a stock cooler for an i5 from a friend who had a spare one but it will be a few days until I can install that one. Do you think the broken one work in the meantime, or will it not be tight enough with only 3 of the feet attached?

Thanks!

Solution
No. Don't use the broken cooler, your CPU will overheat. Consider this an opportunity to get a upgraded CPU cooler.

What kind of budget are you working with?

EDIT: UPDATE
Well if you can get one for free, may as well go with it :p
Whatever you do, don't try to use the broken cooler. You'll fry something.

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
No. Don't use the broken cooler, your CPU will overheat. Consider this an opportunity to get a upgraded CPU cooler.

What kind of budget are you working with?

EDIT: UPDATE
Well if you can get one for free, may as well go with it :p
Whatever you do, don't try to use the broken cooler. You'll fry something.

Solution

Impie

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure, guess I have to survive a few extra days =P
I would simply buy a new/better one if I had the money, but I rather save up a bit for a SSD instead, since I can get a i5 cooler for free... they are the same right?

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
I'm sure it'll fit with no problems. Just be sure to use new thermal paste when your doing the installation.

Good choice on the SSD. One of the best upgrades in my opinion. Or at the very least, one of the most noticeable.

I had a problem with one of the "pin locks" on the stock cooler on my i5 4670 CPU. The point of the pin lock is split in two. One side of the split went into the hole without a problem. Unfortunately, the other side was not lined up with the hole in the mobo, and when I pushed down on it, it bent outward on the surface of the MOBO instead of going into the hole. No matter how hard I tried, I was unable to get both halves of the pin to go into the hole.

So, I tried it with only 3 pins. It worked but I had to keep a close eye on CPU temps. As I recall, Temps were a little high but nowhere near damaging the CPU.

I did not trust the 3 legged cooler so I bought a Noctua NH D14 and have not had any problems since.

Yogi

Impie

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
That actually happened to me as well, when i noticed i planned to use some pliers to bend it back and when I removed it thats when the other side broke.

Actually managed to get a nice noctua cooler from my friend instead so will install that shortly =)