[SOLVED] Broke the PCI-E retention lock on my motherboard, help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Guys I was removing my RTX 3070 to clean it and I accidentally broke the x4 pcie retention lock, the x16 where the RTX 3070 is installed is fine, can I fix this in India or not? Help me, what will happen if I install the GPU without the locking clip? Will it fall off? I don't use the x4 slot I only use the x16 slot where the 3070 is installed!

Solution
Except for the 3090, all gtx/rtx cards have discontinued use of the sli port. So you might as well say sli was now firmly a dead subject. That leaves the purpose DX12 was built for, multi-gpu (mgpu) and to date that's a dead end, 99.9% of games don't support mgpu and the ones that do support it, do so miserably.

Physically there's very few physical cards that are x16 and have a pin requirement other than gpus.

So the only way that port will ever get used is if you had a 'brain fart' and decided to seriously chop your gpu output by putting your gpu there instead of the primary port, which I don't see as happening nor plausible.

Your OCD I can do nothing about, same as I can't fix mine, so I fully understand that implication, so as...
Well I have OCD I want things to be perfect the 3rd GPU slot has a broken retention clip that locks the GPU, anyways can I fix it?
Just show photos of the damage (upload to imgur.com and post link).
Nobody can answer, if it is fixable without seeing the damage first.

As said before - don't use the slot with heavy graphics card in it and you'll be fine.
If OCD is seriously triggering you, then buy a new motherboard.

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Just show photos of the damage (upload to imgur.com and post link).
Nobody can answer, if it is fixable without seeing the damage first.

As said before - don't use the slot with heavy graphics card in it and you'll be fine.
If OCD is seriously triggering you, then buy a new motherboard.
On second thought I'll send u the pic wait!!

LeighPing

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I have OCD I want things to be perfect

Of course, however, life doesn't pan out quite like that now does it. :giggle:

The slot's locking mechanism is broken, rendering it somewhat unsafe to use without some risk being taken by you for doing so. :eek: Although it seems unlikely that you'll ever really need to use it. It's simply not perfect anymore. Either replace it at a cost or learn to live with it. The heavier the item that you plug into it, the higher the risk of it dropping out, most likely. Most folks would probably just learn to avoid using that slot and start looking forward to their next upgrade. You've had lots of good answers here. Let those satisfy your compulsive obsession for perfection, because your mobo just won't do that anymore. :LOL:

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble
the clip that came off is fine and i still have it but the broken part underneath is just some small plastic thats useless, its so small, I lost it.
If some broken off piece is lost, then you can't glue it back together and can't fix it.
I'd just leave it.

But since OCD is the actual problem here, then I'm afraid, you'll have to buy a new motherboard.

Reactions: LeighPing

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Of course, however, life doesn't pan out quite like that now does it. :giggle:

The slot's locking mechanism is broken, rendering it somewhat unsafe to use without some risk being taken by you for doing so. :eek: Although it seems unlikely that you'll ever really need to use it. It's simply not perfect anymore. Either replace it at a cost or learn to live with it. The heavier the item that you plug into it, the higher the risk of it dropping out, most likely. Most folks would probably just learn to avoid using that slot and start looking forward to their next upgrade. You've had lots of good answers here. Let those satisfy your compulsive obsession for perfection, because your mobo just won't do that anymore. :LOL:
How can i repair it in india though? :unsure:

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
If some broken off piece is lost, then you can't glue it back together and can't fix it.
I'd just leave it.

But since OCD is the actual problem here, then I'm afraid, you'll have to buy a new motherboard.
but performance wise my motherboard is fine, running a 3070 at gen 4 speed and 3900 XT and getting tons of frames in games, but the OCD is making me sick.

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
buying a new mobo is pointless, its not like i spilled beer on the mobo and its dead, it still works and i'll use it, i 'll never use the third slot anyway, and i'll probably upgrade my gpu in the next 5 years so?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Except for the 3090, all gtx/rtx cards have discontinued use of the sli port. So you might as well say sli was now firmly a dead subject. That leaves the purpose DX12 was built for, multi-gpu (mgpu) and to date that's a dead end, 99.9% of games don't support mgpu and the ones that do support it, do so miserably.

Physically there's very few physical cards that are x16 and have a pin requirement other than gpus.

So the only way that port will ever get used is if you had a 'brain fart' and decided to seriously chop your gpu output by putting your gpu there instead of the primary port, which I don't see as happening nor plausible.

Your OCD I can do nothing about, same as I can't fix mine, so I fully understand that implication, so as far as fixing or bypassing it or ignoring it, that's on you. Can't help you there. You'll either find a way to live with a busted but inconsequential piece of plastic, that doesn't even have a esthetic appeal or buy a new motherboard.

Solution