[SOLVED] Broke the white cable connection point of the wifi antenna in my laptop

Solution
You don't "need" both of them, but it could impact connectivity in strange ways. I have a laptop that I had a busted screen which wasn't worth the money to repair based on hardware in spite of it being relatively recent. The WiFi antenna were routed through the lid, which I eliminated. I tried various ways to route the wires through the chassis for good signal and ultimately it didn't work well.

I did some research on it, and where I forget the exact terms, one of the antenna is the "main" and the other is a backup of sorts. The adapter can switch between them based on various factors for connectivity.
I looked up the color code for the main in the Dell I did this to, and hooked the "main" directly to an external antenna that I...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You don't "need" both of them, but it could impact connectivity in strange ways. I have a laptop that I had a busted screen which wasn't worth the money to repair based on hardware in spite of it being relatively recent. The WiFi antenna were routed through the lid, which I eliminated. I tried various ways to route the wires through the chassis for good signal and ultimately it didn't work well.

I did some research on it, and where I forget the exact terms, one of the antenna is the "main" and the other is a backup of sorts. The adapter can switch between them based on various factors for connectivity.
I looked up the color code for the main in the Dell I did this to, and hooked the "main" directly to an external antenna that I liberated from an old wireless router and connected into the chassis via the Kensington Lock slot. My WiFi and Bluetooth work fine, but the range from the access point or device is significantly lessened with many devices.

Edit- also, you are aware that the antenna just snap onto the connector and are removed and reattached quite easily. It's hard to see in the pic, but the button for the antenna seems fine. Did you try to snap the lead back on?

Reactions: Maxjan1
Solution

Maxjan1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Edit- also, you are aware that the antenna just snap onto the connector and are removed and reattached quite easily. It's hard to see in the pic, but the button for the antenna seems fine. Did you try to snap the lead back on?

If i only had your skill ^^ maybe this would not have happened, lol.

Oh its definetly broken off, it managed to take a small piece of the motherboard base with it, there is this ring thats supposed to be on it and it currently in the cable end :(

i did not manhandle the connection but it was already loose from before so it unfortunately just snapped of this time...