[SOLVED] Broke USB 3 pin in mobo

Boombastic98

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Hi, I was swapping case and had to fight with a stuck USB 3 panel cable, after it came out it had bent a pin, while trying to fix it it broke. My question is, since I don’t really need the 3.0s, can I leave it like this or is there a short circuit risk? Pins aren’t touching one another

Solution
Make sure it's straightened out (if bent) and see if you can connect the front panel connector, you might find that you're actually fine as far as functionality, although at ~10%, I wouldn't hold my breath.

You're not going to damage anything.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Where did it break? On the USB header on the board? If so, did it break clean off?

I actually broke a pin on my 3.0 header on my board, trying to work too fast. However, there's still ~30% of the pin remaining. Ensured that was straightened out, and the header/ports still works perfectly.

If you've totally lost the pin, that's another problem altogether. Shouldn't be any risk of a short though, just a non functioning header

Boombastic98

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Where did it break? On the USB header on the board? If so, did it break clean off?

I actually broke a pin on my 3.0 header on my board, trying to work too fast. However, there's still ~30% of the pin remaining. Ensured that was straightened out, and the header/ports still works perfectly.

If you've totally lost the pin, that's another problem altogether. Shouldn't be any risk of a short though, just a non functioning header
Yes on board, I have like 10% remaining of the pin, my only worry is it can damage the pc, because the front panel has 2 regular USB ports anyway