[SOLVED] Broken 2011 MacBook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberDuber

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
My MacBook Pro won't turn on. I can plug it in and press the power button and the fans will start running but the screen doesn't turn on, I don't hear the chime, and the keyboard and apple symbol don't light up. I did plug the hard drive into another computer and on the loading screen it said repairing hard drive. After the loading screen I unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back into the laptop and it booted up. I booted it up one more time after that but then it wouldn't boot up anymore. I have tried many things but none of them have worked for me yet. Please help me!

Specs:
Core i7 ( I think)
4 gb ram
500gb hard drive

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Firstly, get some compressed air. If you can/feel comfortable, remove the bottom panel(just remember where the screws go). Once the panel is off, air out the CPU fans and anywhere else you see dust build up. Disconnect the battery and try plugging in the power cable. If it's a bad battery causing the issue, the laptop will turn on on it's own and boot normally. Additionally, try re-seating/cleaning the memory. If disconnecting the battery didn't work.. re-connect it. This time, press PWR and about 2 - 3 seconds later, press & hold COMMAND + OPTION + P + R(this resets the NVRAM... could also be a potential cause). It would also be a good idea to connect it to an external display just in case the internal one has gone bad.

[EDIT] oh and when you're resetting the NVRAM, keep holding down all 4 buttons until you hear the Apple startup chime 3 times(3 reboots).. then let go. If after holding them down for more then 10 seconds & you don't hear anything... it could be something more serious(possibly the logic board)

UberDuber

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Do you think that maybe a corrupted hard drive might be the issue? It might not be getting the proper boot up information. But you would probably know the answer to that not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.