Broken 4870x2 or incompatible hardware?

jerichau

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I have a Gecube Radeon 4870x2 that I bought in September last year. It was fine, but it would randomly lose screen signal, spin up it's fan, and then reboot my PC. On Vista I'd get a minidump saying that the atimdiag.sys or something crapped out with a bugcheck 1000000ea code. At first I thought it was just crappy drivers or something, but it's gotten so bad that I had to put in a GTX 275 instead, which hasn't had a problem. Now I've tried to send the card back to the supplier twice, and each time they say they've tested it and it's fine, but I think they're just stringing me along till the card is out of warranty.

I've tested everything I can think of, tried reinstalling OSes, removing all other hardware like soundcards, etc. but I get the crashes constantly when I run passmark burnintest 2d video memory and 3d tests at the same time, and sometimes I even get the crash under Linux with the open source 2d driver. And the GTX 275 has never crashed. So I'm out of ideas on how to prove to the supplier that it's broken. Either that or my motherboard is somehow incompatible, which is ludicrous since the GTX 275 works flawlessly. Gecube's quality control is non-existent: go to their site, go to firmware downloads, click 'TEST', and you get a picture of someone on holiday; so I would've thought it's pretty obvious that the card is a dud. Any ideas?

Coolermaster Real Power 850w
Abit IP43 mainboard
OCZ Platinum DDR2 800 2x2gb
3 SATA drives, 1 optical
E8500 (tried Q6600 too, same sh-t).

p.s. Setting the fan speed way up doesn't help either, the card still crashes at low temperatures.

I read an article in the last year and a half either in GPU magazine or maximumPC magazine about Gecube. None of it was good. These people should not be allowed to be in business IMO.. I think they expect the place you bought it from to warranty it for 2 years but that's not how it goes. The only thing you can do is keep contacting them and hope things work out.

I had to, in the past, and not related to a video card problem, BUT, Is there a consumer advocate in your towns local newspaper ? One letter to them and my problem was solved in no time flat. Company's don't like bad publicity.

There should also be somebody you can talk to in your state..... "States Attorney General" perhaps ??? never hurts to mention that when you talk to these people again..... and don't think for a minute your card isn't fuct....... they don't want to be on the hook for it.. Good Luck.

jerichau

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I don't have another machine to test in as I'd need to move my PSU to my media server and take the motherboard, etc. out as the card won't fit in that case. And then the PSU is still a variable to deal with. The joke is that the store I bought my card from doesn't even have a PSU to run the card, so I can't get them to set up a machine so I can show them the problem, all I can do is send the card away and wait 2 weeks for someone to tell me the card's fine. The card's fine when you put it in a machine, try a game for 5 min, and quit. But when you test with burnintest or play for hours it's going to crash.

Going by my hourly rate at work I've already wasted more of my time than the card is worth anyway. This is a war of attrition, and as I'm in South Africa I don't think they give a damn about bad publicity as the market's too small. I've sworn off buying anything from the whole damn chain of suppliers: Cafe Java store -> Sonic Informed local distributor -> Gecube kak.

The worst thing is that Gecube was my first attempt at an ATI card, and it's put me off them completely. My XFX/Point of View/Zotac Nvidia cards have been, and still are, solid and reliable. ATI should be more careful about who they partner with!