Broken and bent cpu pins

andrej.todosijevic

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Ok so yesterday I built my new PC but a lot of pins are bent and one of them is broken... It's my fault. Can this broken pin somehow be fixed by putting some other pin into the motherboard socket?

Your best hope is it's one of the many redundant pins for power or ground...in which case just plug it in and see if it works.

If you've a microscope, an ultra-fine solder station and extreme patience you could possibly solder a pin on but that's pure hail Mary stuff and if you did you always pose the risk of a weak solder joint breaking, leaving the pin to foul the socket.

You can straighten bent pins fairly easily: I use a .5mm mechanical pencil with the lead retracted. Slip the tip of the pencil over the bent pin and slowly bend it back to straight.

But wait: is this an Intel motherboard with pins in the socket? If so, I think the motherboard is scrap unless the broken and bent pins are redundant or unused. But too many missing redundant ground or power connections can't be good for stability even then.

USAFRet

Titan

Which specific CPU is this?
Pictures, please.

Dec 29, 2018
I did the same exact thing yesterday. I used a pair of tiny tweazers, and a dull exacto knife. i was able to straiten it perfectly. you should try this, it worked fine for me. I have an AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Are we talking intel with motherboard having pins? If so, good luck ever fixing that

If its an amd cpu with pins you can maybe get the bent pins working without issue, but that broken pin unless you are very lucky will at least give you some issues with memory and performance.

Its like getting shot in the head, usually its immediately lethal. Sometimes people get away with brain damage and rarely there are people that have little to no issues.