Question Broken antenna mini coax connector

beardedandy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Can I just check my thinking please.

I've an Hp probook 450 g3 ddr4 and broken the connector on the antenna during a repair, It seems to be an M.2 2230 3165 NGW

I'm tempted to replace the card whilst I'm there.

Do the cards normally come with antennae?

I don't think the antenna are anything special are they? I just need a 2nd one for 2x2? So may as well run that, even if I don't change the card

Are there any cards that don't use those connectors as I'm pretty sure they're the work of the devil.

Normally the cards do not come with antenna because there is so many different machines the cards work in.

You can buy antenna with the proper connector but buying it is the easy part. Antenna are normally mounted near the screen on laptops. The also pass through the hinge area on the machines. Lots of very delicate disassembly and reassembly.

Unless you buy them from hp (massively overpriced) you likely are going to have to take the machine apart so you can see what the antenna looks like. The space they fit in tends to not have much extra room so you need to get a replacement that is the same physical size.

beardedandy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Thanks,

I'm confident enough to replay them (had it apart to desolder a faulty magnetic lid switch when I caused this problem). Easier way would be USB but then I know I'd forget that one time.

I'll have a look but I'm right I need an extra one for 2x2?

Yes 2x2 need 2 antenna. They use the spacing between the antenna to try to get the signal slightly out of phase, it is not possible to do that with a single antenna.

Note do not even think to try to solder wifi stuff. It is extremely hard to get a perfect solder connection on that tiny wire and the solder connection must be perfect to not degrade the signals.

beardedandy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Thanks,

Just to keep it going for anyone that finds the thread later. I just pulled apart another HP laptop (with the same card) for the antennae from that but found

The cables are too short for the run around the screen
Probook estimated at 90+ (LHS) and 40ish cm (RHS)
Others are 60cm

The antennae size is different so they won't install well
Probook set is 15x11mm
Other is 30x10mm

View: https://imgur.com/a/FMMfzs2

More reading to do here for me

Last edited:

beardedandy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
PS thanks for clearing up the confusion over 2/5 Ghz for me. I was expecting 2 sets (4 total) of physical cables.

Anything in the new AX standard that I should be looking at as I'm running new ones anyway?

beardedandy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Just to round this off.. I managed to get one of the shorter anternnae positioned in the wrong place but speedtests seem to suggest it's worked ok, time will tell.

Those connected do seem to be replaceable but you want to be really sure of what you're doing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnNCSlU4a64

For anyone in a similar position. I'd humbly but firmly suggest you cut your losses and just get a usb adapter

Huge thanks to @bill001g

We will have to wait and see if the AX is something new or all hype. I don't think it will really be able to solve the problem of too many people using wifi and stomping on each other. They say there are improvements but until people start using this in their homes I am staying away.

It will not even be certified until later this year. All the equipment you can buy now is "draft" stuff and we know how well that went on 802.11n. Lots of hardware that was not 100% compatible. Many large vendors are not even going to start to produce equipment until the standard is fully finalized.

By the time it is common on end devices the router price will likely also have dropped.