Question Broken aspect ratio and wrong refresh rate

Sep 22, 2020
Hello. I got an HP ProBook G42, and one day it fell to the ground with the screen; everything survived, but the screen behaves differently, as if there was a broken "clock":

• Horizontally contracted, and vertically stretched (so many things go below the bottom)
  • Refresh rate changed from 60Hz to 58Hz (according to Win 7)
  • (less important) Webcam doesn't work anymore
  • (less important) Noisy microphone
Today I decapped the laptop, and found that at the very bottom of the screen, a glued plastic ("flex cable"?) was slightly misconnected; "fixed" with adhesive tape, taking care to not misposition. Webcam and microphone now work as they should, but the refresh rate and aspect ratio remain wrong. Memory diagnostics are okay, and so on; issue seems undetectable by software.

Interesting:

It happens during the BIOS and Windows 7; worked like a charm on Ubuntu, but it was hibernated before the act, and would always work right as long as it recovers from hibernation!! (I had to restart, and now Ubuntu looks wrong as well).

Considering that webcam and microphone work right, do I merely have to "reset" something? (as in, for example, pulling the BIOS' battery for some minutes?). By the way, external monitors work perfectly.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
If it worked properly in hibernated Ubuntu until you needed to reboot it, then I'd guess the data lines are still working and something is failing during display detection that hibernated Ubuntu may have been skipping on resume.

What resolution are you getting? The expected resolution or something weird that resembles what you are seeing?

Sep 22, 2020
Well, resolutions aren't an issue per-se (can pick "any"); but the whole screen is vertically stretched so, the start menu for example, is completely invisible. Some resolutions are more wider-screen and I can get a full image, but it's still all shifted to the left (as if was all the same but trying to display up/down bars to compensate)
EDIT: I'll try removing the BIOS battery tomorrow, I'll update the post

Last edited: