[SOLVED] Broken capacitor on Asus RTX 3090 Strix -- need help with spec ?

Solution
Definitely surface mount based on the legs/pads left behind. All the remaining caps have the plastic at the base in the pictures.

Panasonic I linked is 6.5mm tall (max) with a 5mm diameter and a 5.3-5.5ish mm foot print (C class). It would fit in the space and do the job I would think. Just a different brand, and hopefully the ESR value lines up close to what was designed. These are the bigger bulk caps on the card, not likely to be too exacting in any case.

A quick measurement would tell you if they are all in parallel or in pairs or something.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Can you get physical dimensions on those?

Height and width will really help narrow it down to the footprint you need.

Doesn't have to be an exact match either, just getting something close will probably work fine.

You are looking for SMD Aluminum Electrolytic capacitors. Likely 270uF at 16V, ESR unknown though. Might be 27uF as well, not 100% sure, not seen one marked quite that way. Most caps I looked at showed 27 for 27, and 270 for 270, so probably fine to say 270uF.

Rough measurement would be 5mm diameter caps based on images of the Strix cards.

Something like this might work:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/EEE-FKC271XSP?qs=zOMD8z/hl68J4gppGCeZeQ==

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Look more like Radial Leaded Aluminium Organic caps. SMD's have that square chunk of plastic and aren't through hole soldered.

I couldn't find anything anywhere with those specs and dimensions, usually 6.3mm x 8mm or 6.3mm x 7.7mm was smallest I found.

You'll probably need to contact Asus tech support, ask them

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Definitely surface mount based on the legs/pads left behind. All the remaining caps have the plastic at the base in the pictures.

Panasonic I linked is 6.5mm tall (max) with a 5mm diameter and a 5.3-5.5ish mm foot print (C class). It would fit in the space and do the job I would think. Just a different brand, and hopefully the ESR value lines up close to what was designed. These are the bigger bulk caps on the card, not likely to be too exacting in any case.

A quick measurement would tell you if they are all in parallel or in pairs or something.

Solution
May 10, 2021
Can you get physical dimensions on those?

Height and width will really help narrow it down to the footprint you need.

Doesn't have to be an exact match either, just getting something close will probably work fine.

You are looking for SMD Aluminum Electrolytic capacitors. Likely 270uF at 16V, ESR unknown though. Might be 27uF as well, not 100% sure, not seen one marked quite that way. Most caps I looked at showed 27 for 27, and 270 for 270, so probably fine to say 270uF.

Rough measurement would be 5mm diameter caps based on images of the Strix cards.

Something like this might work:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/EEE-FKC271XSP?qs=zOMD8z/hl68J4gppGCeZeQ==

I bought the part you mention and solder it in.

It works. Thank you.