Broken Capacitor On MB

Craigis22

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hello guys i have problem. Yesterday i was building my pc and i somehow broke 1 capacitor on motherboard it felt from the case. The mb is msi mortar 150m and the capacitor is the one above 24 pin conector..question is can i run it without problem?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Is it actually 'broken'? Has it snapped clear of the board? Is it cracked? Or is it simply bent a little?

If it's bent, with no physical sign of damage, you should be fine. Carefully straighten it back out.

If it's visibly damaged/cracked/leaking etc, then you'll have issues.

You'll know pretty soon - it'll either work, or it won't.

Craigis22

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
It is broken.. Only the two pins or ,,feets,, are on that place but the ,,head,, of capacitor is out. Any solution? Can i change the capacitor? And if i dont change it can it destroy my components on board? Thank you for answ.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If it's not functioning correctly, then you can certainly have instability in your system. I'm not aware of a damaged capacitor causing damage to other components, but I wouldn't rule it out. It's a damaged electrical component afterall, so it's entirely possible.

As for replacing it, I wouldn't recommend you try to repair/replace. You could attempt to RMA the board but, as you caused the damage you're very likely to be denied.

You should probably just buy a replacement board.

I dont know how you managed to broke one, they are resilient little bastards which came off really hard, you have to really buldge one to knock it off, if so next time ask someone who knows how to handle pc components to assemble your pc. Go to an electronic service they will change it fast, easy and it wont cost you an arm and a leg. Dont try to do anything, you may end up doing more damage.
Also be sure to take the damaged capacitor with you so they can know what type of capacitor to put back.