[SOLVED] Broken Capacitor

Jul 3, 2019
So, against my better judgement I bought a preconfigured pc from cyberpower last week for next day delivery. Normally I would build my own but needed it super quick. Anyway, PC turned up and has been working fine but this morning I decided to throw away the air packaging they placed inside the pc. When I lifted it out of the box, I heard something drop to the bottom of the box. When I looked in the box I found a motherboard capacitor. Looked inside the pc and identified where it was from. When thinking about, they put a power inside the pc near this capacitor and maybe it got damaged in transit.

I emailed pictures to cyberpower and "think" it's just a power smoothing capacitor for a pcie that's not in use and won't have any impact on general performance etc of the pc overall. I'm interested in what you guys think? I can't be without the pc for 7 days for repair as I'm self employed and need it for work.

Image here https://ibb.co/yNjN4xd

Solution
It is a filter cap, doubtless associated with the VRM it's right next to. It may or may not provide power for PCIe as there are other devices nearby... whatever's plugged into the nearby M.2 socket(s), chipset, etc.

It's loss means power delivery to those devices won't be as clean or well regulated as designed. It may seem to work fine now but as components age that can change. I'd find a way to send it back to be fixed or replaced.
It is a filter cap, doubtless associated with the VRM it's right next to. It may or may not provide power for PCIe as there are other devices nearby... whatever's plugged into the nearby M.2 socket(s), chipset, etc.

It's loss means power delivery to those devices won't be as clean or well regulated as designed. It may seem to work fine now but as components age that can change. I'd find a way to send it back to be fixed or replaced.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS